Broody Hen

BaileyJean

Songster
7 Years
Mar 20, 2012
Kentucky
My Coop
My Coop
I have a Silkie Hen that seems to have gone broody. This started 5 days ago, she got on her nest nest and stopped laying eggs. She is acting just like a broody hen. I am trying to break her of her broodiness. I have been taking her off of her nest every morning and locking her out of the coop with the other hens. She free ranges for 12 hours a day, and she acts normally when she is at. As soon as she gets back in the coop, she runs to her nest and acts broody again. I thought that if she got out everyday she would stop being broody. In the past when I have had a broody hen I give her a bath, and it stops the broodiness, but that did not phase her. I can't set eggs under her right now, because we don't have room for any more chicks!! Any more suggestions?

First I have to apologize because I am not giving you an answer. One of my Javas is doing about the same, although she jumps in my camelias if I don't open the door of the coop. I am intrigued by the bath. This is the 3rd time since January that she is getting that way. I have tried to put her in a cage, which is actually a dog crate, for a couple of days. She seems to snap out of it, but, obvously, not for long. So I am going to try your method. Have you tried the cage thing?
Now, I am a newbie, how do you go about to give your hen a bath? I need details ... Thanks

To give her a bath. First get a bucket and put warm water in it. You need enough water to cover to your chicken's chest. I mix shampoo in the water (some people use apple cider vinegar) and the put the chicken in it. I get a cup and just keep dumping the water over the chickens back (just let her soak for a 2-3 minutes) You have to be careful not to let them get their heads under water, because they can drowned themselves. After she has soaked for a minute I wash her neck and head. I rinse them off in the sink that we have in the garage, but you could also put her in a bucket of clean water. Make sure you get the shampoo out (if you used it) or else they could get itchy. Roll her up in a towel, and let that absorb most of the water. I blow dry mine after they get their baths :) You just start at the tail, and go forward (this is for silkies)
I have not tried seperating her yet, I thought that letting her would have the same effect
idunno.gif

Thanks for the response. It makes sense now, but at first I just cound't see it. I can see how this would work for the silkies. My java has just regular feathers, it would be a sight to see if I were to blow dry her.
Anyhow, reading some other threads, they seem to advocate cold water for their bath. This to lower their body temp. as it rises when broody. Just repeating here, no experience what so ever.
Again, reading the threads, it seems that putting your broody in a cage by herself for several days, is the way to go. One thread mentioned a dog crate if you don't have a rabbit hutch or another coop. (This reassured me as I am using a dog crate).

Good luck. I hope you will get answers from more seasoned chicken lovers.

Back
Top Bottom