BROODY HUTCHES my Mothers Day Project FINISHED

50-45-1

Free Ranging
16 Years
Feb 25, 2008
Northern Michigan (tip of the little finger area)
My Coop
My Coop
So on Mother's Day my husband ask me what I wanted to do.
I replied" I need new Broody hutches"
this spring we had dismantled the hutches I had been using as they say we're pretty dilapidated. my Mother had built them when I was a Youngster. I am now 60.
I had saved all the hardware cloth and lumber that was still usable in preparation to use it to build new ones, so my husband pulled out the table saw, the chop saw, the air compressor, the staple gun and gave me a pair of gloves and said there you go.
so today I finished putting the tin roof on.
DH says it looks like a professional job.
of course I did need his advice on a few fine points, like getting angles right and notching the legs correctly. The legs are pressure treated. a lot of the exterior surface boards are pressure treated also I added to Cedar Shake to make it match my chicken coop plus it makes it smell wonderful everything here is reclaimed or reused the only new material was the Staples in the staple gun and the deck screws.
I have two broody's right now and I've saved eggs to set under them, so tonight these babies will be put to use.

Last edited:
20190527_163056.jpg
20190527_163101.jpg
20190527_163145.jpg
20190527_163220.jpg
20190527_163241.jpg
20190527_163346.jpg

OK, so i forgot to mention one thing. We also put a layer of "bitchethane" under the tin roofing.
It also is new material. You folks in construction also know it as water proofing underlayment.
We had a small portion left over from when DH did the roof of the house.
I could have said "take me to a fancy restraunt for Mothers Day" but thats not me.
Now my Daughter can use my hutches.....maybe when she is 60!

OK, so i forgot to mention one thing. We also put a layer of "bitchethane" under the tin roofing.
It also is new material. You folks in construction also know it as water proofing underlayment.
We had a small portion left over from when DH did the roof of the house.
I could have said "take me to a fancy restraunt for Mothers Day" but thats not me.
Now my Daughter can use my hutches.....maybe when she is 60!

You truly did some amazing work. Your DH must be proud as well!! Many youngsters could take valuable lessons from this!!

Back
Top Bottom