Broody left the nest - one egg with a pip left!

Johnchickens2

Songster
7 Years
Apr 18, 2017
Hi everyone,
My broody had 7 eggs. Yesterday, 5 hatched.
Two eggs are left. Today, I saw a pip on one of them!
But the mother has just decided to leave the nest with her chicks. The nest box with the eggs is next to her in the cage (in case she wants to come back.
But it looks like she wants to stay outside.
I have to say that the weather in my area today is pretty hot! Needless to say that inside the box it is hotter. Can the eggs (the one with a pip and the other) stay there till the evening (when the broody will surely return)?? Now its 13:00 oclock here, Im sure shw will sit again by 18:30. Is it fine, or should I put the egg under another broody??
Thanks!

Either inder another broody or in an incubator. I have had a similar thing happen. I put them in a Styrofoam cooler with a light (didn't have a incubator at that time) and hatched them. Gave them back to mama after the were dry

Hi everyone,
My broody had 7 eggs. Yesterday, 5 hatched.
Two eggs are left. Today, I saw a pip on one of them!
But the mother has just decided to leave the nest with her chicks. The nest box with the eggs is next to her in the cage (in case she wants to come back.
But it looks like she wants to stay outside.
I have to say that the weather in my area today is pretty hot! Needless to say that inside the box it is hotter. Can the eggs (the one with a pip and the other) stay there till the evening (when the broody will surely return)?? Now its 13:00 oclock here, Im sure shw will sit again by 18:30. Is it fine, or should I put the egg under another broody??
Thanks!
I'm going to give you a bit of advice you probably won't take.
Don't try to rescue either of the remaining eggs.
Hens leaving unhatched, or partially hatched chicks in eggs is normal.
The reasons are quite complicated.
Hens try to avoid staggered hatches. The reason is, the chicks that hatch later than the rest will be weaker and unlikey to survive. If she has already got her chicks out of the nest site then they are already learning and growing stronger.
If you hatch the one with the pip then it is already a day or more behind the others and is unlikely to be able to compete for food and warmth.
Some hens will kill or abandon the weaker chicks. They know that the chick would be unlikely to survive in feral or free range keeping circumstances.

Hens ime seem to know if there is something wrong with a chick before it hatches. I don't know how they know, but having "rescued" partially hatched chicks in the past only to find out later they have some disability and died a few days later.

There is no guarantee that if you hatch the partially hatched chick and then try to return it to the mother she will accept it.

I would put the egg under another broody, but move it back to the mother hen when she retires for the night or when the chick is hatched and dried. An incubator would be better, though, if you have one.

I'm going to give you a bit of advice you probably won't take.
Don't try to rescue either of the remaining eggs.
Hens leaving unhatched, or partially hatched chicks in eggs is normal.
The reasons are quite complicated.
Hens try to avoid staggered hatches. The reason is, the chicks that hatch later than the rest will be weaker and unlikey to survive. If she has already got her chicks out of the nest site then they are already learning and growing stronger.
If you hatch the one with the pip then it is already a day or more behind the others and is unlikely to be able to compete for food and warmth.
Some hens will kill or abandon the weaker chicks. They know that the chick would be unlikely to survive in feral or free range keeping circumstances.

Hens ime seem to know if there is something wrong with a chick before it hatches. I don't know how they know, but having "rescued" partially hatched chicks in the past only to find out later they have some disability and died a few days later.

There is no guarantee that if you hatch the partially hatched chick and then try to return it to the mother she will accept it.
Although this is true. I do disagree. I have given the chocks back to the broody after hatching and *my* broody did great and the chick did survive.

This may be true in sometimes it isn't always true. IMO it's worth a try, a life is a life.

Thank you all!!
The "pipped" egg has just hatched!! I will wait till it dries and return it to its mother when it's dark outside.
Now, only one egg is left. No pip, but I can see movement inside....
Probably a day or two....

Thanks again :) :)

Back
Top Bottom