Broody mama left nest, incubate now?!

jessupfamily

Songster
12 Years
May 14, 2007
SW Indiana
Long story short....
My mama has 5 more eggs not do to hatch untill next week. She stole an egg from the other mama and it hatched 2 days ago. She has left the nest with that baby. The others are doing great inside their eggs! I have a Little Giant still air incubator. I always let the mamas hatch their own and have never incubated before. I have it for just in cases (like this). It is heated up and at 105 degrees regularly. There is water in the rings in the bottom for humidity and an air circulation vent open and one closed. What now!!? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Amy J.

Okay, first of all your temp is too high... 101 is ideal..I keep mine around 100..any higher than that is too hot....your humidity should be around 55 to 60 til the last 3 days and then thats when you want to up it too 70 to 75 to keep the chicks from drying out when trying to pip...you still have to turn your eggs until the last 3 days and then you stop turning ... you turn eggs 3 times a day....Not sure how you can figure when you should stop turning if they have been under a hen.....Just my opinion on how I do incubating....Maybe someone else will chime in with more info....

Last edited:
Thanks! I didn't put the eggs in the incubator until the temp read 100 degrees. I know that they're due to hatch on Weds. of next week.
Amy J.

The temp has maintained at 100-101 degrees all day! And the eggs are moving (shaking), especially right after they are turned. It seems like everything is working out! Thanks again!!
Amy J.

Don't forget not to turn them the last 3 days of incubation and get the humidity up to 65-70% for those last 3 days, also. That way they can get in the correct position to hatch. Good Luck!!! Let us know how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom