Broody & Mean

Sheckleman

Hatching
Nov 27, 2022
I have a broody Delaware that started humping my Plymouth Rock and pulling out her feathers. I put her in a separate area of the backyard with her own nesting box. We pull her out of the box 3 times a day for exercise and food. When my Easter egger flew into the Delaware's area she viciously attacked the Egger. It looked like a cock fight. When I was able to pull the Egger away the Delaware was hanging on so tight that she was lifted off the ground. Is this normal behavior for a broody hen? Is there anything I should be doing to help her get back to her sweet self?

Is chicken jail where i put her in a cage with food & water? No more nest box?
Yes, it needs to be elevated off the ground a bit to get the air flowing under her. You can put a roost in there if you want just no bedding. She needs to stay in there for 2 days to start, let her out a little before roost time, if she goes to roost it worked, if she goes back to the nest she needs to go back to the clink for a couple more days

I currently have an almost 2 year old hen (backyard mix) that has gone broody and acting aggressively like a rooster towards the my other hens (Easter Eggers), under a year old. She's even trying to attack my four 2 month old babies (2 frizzled bantam cochin cockerels,1 red sex link pullet and 1 Rhode island pullet). She's currently in chicken jail and there's absolute peace among the flock but once I let the "mean bully" out for exercise she goes straight to terrorize the flock. We are on the second week and I'm at my wits end. I don't know what to do to reform her. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom