Broody molting?

Auntiejessi3

Crossing the Road
Premium Feather Member
Oct 20, 2020
Central Texas
My Coop
My Coop
My broody hatched 5 babes last weekend, they are all doing well! Now it looks as if she is molting, she is losing a lot of feathers. Just wondering if this is normal. Thank y'all

I had a few molt in summer this year, including a broody. Not unheard if, in my experience.

But it couldn't hurt to check her over for mites, lice, crop issues, etc. just to err on the side of caution.
I've given her a good once over and nothing as far as critters go, she's in good health besides being a bit under weight from brooding. I just wanted to be sure, thank y'all☺

I've had that happen before though it was about a month later in the summer. After she finished hatching her chicks and while she was raising them she went through a full molt. Then she skipped the fall molt and laid throughout the winter. So when the others molted and stopped laying I was getting a nice adult hen egg.

Let us know how this goes. Sounds like something that would be fun to read.

I've had that happen before though it was about a month later in the summer. After she finished hatching her chicks and while she was raising them she went through a full molt. Then she skipped the fall molt and laid throughout the winter. So when the others molted and stopped laying I was getting a nice adult hen egg.

Let us know how this goes. Sounds like something that would be fun to read.
Will do! She is still shedding feathers, she's a little over 16 months old and did not molt last fall/ winter, so I assume she's due. She couldn't have picked a better time because it's hotter than all get out right now.

Back
Top Bottom