Broody not leaving nest

Golden_Girls

In the Brooder
Apr 9, 2024
Hi all I'm new to chickens as of last year but learnt super fast. I started with 4 Columbian Rock last April and attained 2 light Sussex in the fall. Betty(light Sussex) went broody so I got her fertilized eggs(no rooster here) and she's been taking her job very seriously. A little too seriously. This is my late uncles favorite hen so I have been making her get up at least once every 2 days to eat and drink.
In the last 4 days she hasn't taken water or pooped but has eaten.
I set the eggs in on April 4th, have cancelled and they look great. She's in her own brooder area with everything she needs, including a dust bath away from the others.
Should I be concerned about the lack of poo?
Video of Betty doing broody things attached.
Thanks for reading.

I forgot to add that I have multiple coop cams that I watch from my bedroom to know she's not leaving the nest.

Hi all I'm new to chickens as of last year but learnt super fast. I started with 4 Columbian Rock last April and attained 2 light Sussex in the fall. Betty(light Sussex) went broody so I got her fertilized eggs(no rooster here) and she's been taking her job very seriously. A little too seriously. This is my late uncles favorite hen so I have been making her get up at least once every 2 days to eat and drink.
In the last 4 days she hasn't taken water or pooped but has eaten.
I set the eggs in on April 4th, have cancelled and they look great. She's in her own brooder area with everything she needs, including a dust bath away from the others.
Should I be concerned about the lack of poo?
Video of Betty doing broody things attached.
Thanks for reading.
My speckled sussex sat for 5 days without leaving. If I picked her up and took her off the nest, she would just pancake where I set her and then go back to the nest. On day 6 she started taking food and water breaks. As long as she has access to food & water & to stretch, I wouldn't worry about it.

hello @Golden_Girls , welcome to BYC :frow

In the set-up you describe, like 16 and me I would leave her be. That she's getting off to eat suggests she's fine. You cannot make her poop in any case :lol: I'd just make sure the water is fresh and clean, and I'd be in there quick to remove the poop when it does come - it will probably smell awful!

hello @Golden_Girls , welcome to BYC :frow

In the set-up you describe, like 16 and me I would leave her be. That she's getting off to eat suggests she's fine. You cannot make her poop in any case :lol: I'd just make sure the water is fresh and clean, and I'd be in there quick to remove the poop when it does come - it will probably smell awful!
Oh I've seen her broody 💩 already and boy was it BIG. I'm thinking she doesn't want to ""go" inside the brooder area and prefers out in the run but we had a freak April snow storm so I didn't want her to risk frostbite on her feet.
Thanks for the replies and making me feel so welcome.

Back
Top Bottom