Preparing for the worst with a broody

Money Pit Zoo

In the Brooder
Apr 24, 2023
I have my first broody hen (Effie, porcelain D’uccle) currently sitting on six eggs. She went broody on April 5 or 6. She has been diligent so far with some help along the way with me having to return her to the right box a few times after she takes her daily breaks and when my speckled Sussex kicks her out of her favorite box (I marked the eggs so I am sure to always remove the ones my Sussex adds). Hopefully we see some chickies next weekend! But if they don’t hatch, I do want to reward her effort with chicks. So if I ordered chicks from a hatchery on April 29 and could therefore give them to Effie April 30 or May 1, would she likely still be broody and likely to accept them? Would we be beyond hope on the six eggs hatching by then? I could also go to TSC at any point to get chicks if it should be sooner than May 1 that I try an introduction (but I’m picky about breeds so I don’t really want to do that).

Attachments

• IMG_2210.jpeg
    IMG_2210.jpeg
    585.7 KB · Views: 14
They should hatch on day 20 or 21. If they don't hatch by day 23 I usually remove them. She will stay broody generally. Just to make sure I would replace the bad eggs with dummy eggs until the chicks arrive.

Not every hen will take chicks they didn't hatch so be careful giving them to her and watch that she actually accepts them.

Back
Top Bottom