Broody question

LaurenRitz

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
Nov 7, 2022
Kansas
The chicks first outside excursion was an adventure. They're in the broody cage attached to another coop. The other birds have been interested but basically ignored them except for complaining that they couldn't get to the food.

I opened the door, and this time she led her chicks out for the first time. One of the young cockerels immediately went after the chicks. Mama got between and it was just like watching a rooster fight. She wouldn't let him get to the chicks and he wasn't going to allow her to put him in his place.

Chaos ensued, chicks scattered and crying, Mama absolutely determined and Jr. Birdman angry as all getout. I had to fight him off with a stick, then I had to coax the chicks back to Mama (they were behind the coop where she couldn't get to them) get Jr. Birdman out of the broody coop and coax Mama back into it.

I think I understand what happened, to an extent. The cockerel is 16 weeks old, never seen chicks before, and he was curious. Mom (rightly) took his interest as a threst and warned him away. He did not take well to a threat from a "gurl."

Another part of the issue is that she's not part of his flock. Although her flock has access to the area, she's not part of his family.

So far, so good. This hen has gone broody before, and there were no histrionics. But now I'm nervous about taking her and her chicks back to the coop as I had planned. I have no way to isolate them there.

I am also suddenly nervous about using the broody cage for future broodies. It's secure, and safer than the coop, but is this always going to be an issue? Or was this a one-off?

The chicks first outside excursion was an adventure. They're in the broody cage attached to another coop. The other birds have been interested but basically ignored them except for complaining that they couldn't get to the food.

I opened the door, and this time she led her chicks out for the first time. One of the young cockerels immediately went after the chicks. Mama got between and it was just like watching a rooster fight. She wouldn't let him get to the chicks and he wasn't going to allow her to put him in his place.

Chaos ensued, chicks scattered and crying, Mama absolutely determined and Jr. Birdman angry as all getout. I had to fight him off with a stick, then I had to coax the chicks back to Mama (they were behind the coop where she couldn't get to them) get Jr. Birdman out of the broody coop and coax Mama back into it.

I think I understand what happened, to an extent. The cockerel is 16 weeks old, never seen chicks before, and he was curious. Mom (rightly) took his interest as a threst and warned him away. He did not take well to a threat from a "gurl."

Another part of the issue is that she's not part of his flock. Although her flock has access to the area, she's not part of his family.

So far, so good. This hen has gone broody before, and there were no histrionics. But now I'm nervous about taking her and her chicks back to the coop as I had planned. I have no way to isolate them there.

I am also suddenly nervous about using the broody cage for future broodies. It's secure, and safer than the coop, but is this always going to be an issue? Or was this a one-off?
I'd bet it's a one off. Like you said, the male is young, and this is his first time seeing chicks. Odds are the following times won't be quite so drastic

So do you think I should try again and keep them in the broody pen for a while? Or move her back to her home flock?

The chicks will be in this coop, their mother will go back to her own flock. In theory.

I think I finally figured out what he's trying to do. He was wing-dancing in front of the broody cage this morning. I guess he figured that since she's the only mature hen in range broody shouldn't make a difference.

All the other pullets in his coop are only 12 weeks old.

This was absolutely darling. Here you see Mama and the babies, with one of the young cockerels standing guard. He never got too close, but neither did the other cockerels challenge his guard position.

20240514_134345.jpg

Mama has the chicks out constantly, but she always heads back to the broody cage.

My experience so far with a multi-generational flock is that cockerels LIKE hens, not pullets. Pullet hatchmates attract almost no attention so long as any grown hen, broody or not, is in range. I've never seen direct aggression towards chicks, but a determined cockerel has no scruples about assaulting a broody regardless of what disadvantage or stress it puts upon her and her babies. I put them in horny jail until the chicks are weaned if I observe such behavior.

He's going in the bachelor pad tonight. Since the adults aren't cooperaring he's started going after the young pullets, pulling the girls out of the nesting boxes and generally making a nuisance of himself. Maybe a month in confinement will let him mature a little.

We'll see if either of his brothers step into the jerk shoes. So far, both of them have been perfect gentlemen.

This isn't a multi-generational flock yet. I'm working toward that.

Back
Top Bottom