Broody silkie hen on 11 eggs to many?!

Trinny

Chirping
Nov 3, 2017
hi so I have always incubated my fertile eggs and I was hoping one of my beautiful silkie hens would go broody and to my delight last week I found her sitting on what I thought was a clutch of 7 eggs but I diddnt want to disturb her to much I had a vary busy week and completely forgot that she was sitting and so I went out yesterday evening to see she was surrounded by eggs and she was sat on 11 but she couldn’t fit them under her so some where cold and the air temp was 22 degrees c last week but dropped to about 13 degrees c all week ahead I cheeked for life and all 11 were fertile I would take some away but I feel bad if there growing it’s day 6 and I can’t get the incubator currently either if you have any ideas of tips on how to try keep these eggs warm please replie

I always prefer hatching eggs under a broody hen. I usually use Aseel hens or sometimes other hens who decide to go broody. I never give less than a dozen egg to a broody hen sometimes I give them more than a dozen up to 16 or 18 depending on size of the eggs. Though I have never kept silkies I have heard that they are devoted mothers.
In my opinion your silkie will be okay with 11 chicks. As you say that the eggs are already developing I don't think it will be good removing them at this stage just make sure that the egg count does not increase. Are you sure she is not able to cover even 11 eggs? Is she a bantam?

I always prefer hatching eggs under a broody hen. I usually use Aseel hens or sometimes other hens who decide to go broody. I never give less than a dozen egg to a broody hen sometimes I give them more than a dozen up to 16 or 18 depending on size of the eggs. Though I have never kept silkies I have heard that they are devoted mothers.
In my opinion your silkie will be okay with 11 chicks. As you say that the eggs are already developing I don't think it will be good removing them at this stage just make sure that the egg count does not increase. Are you sure she is not able to cover even 11 eggs? Is she a bantam?
Thankyou she is a bantam but she’s not to small I’ll see how she gose

I got eggs out from under my silky last night - she has 9 and honestly there felt like she could have had more but if you say you can physically see some she isn't on that doesn't sound great. Has she maybe pushed them out as they aren't good?

I got eggs out from under my silky last night - she has 9 and honestly there felt like she could have had more but if you say you can physically see some she isn't on that doesn't sound great. Has she maybe pushed them out as they aren't good?
So I went to cheek on her and move her because the cockerel has decided he wants to kick her off and the eggs where cold . I put her in a pen with the eggs with a nesting box but she wouldn’t sit so I had to move her back she physically can’t fit any under her i trued to get as many as I could under her it’s going to be 11 degrees c all night what can I do to help her get comfy

I’m worried that if I move her to much she won’t sit but I’ll try tomorrow

I’m worried that if I move her to much she won’t sit but I’ll try tomorrow
I am sorry Trinny, I simply don't have experience with silkie chicken. Once I know that the given breed is docile and calm then I just don't add them. When I get an individual who get pecked regularly and who cannot resist I remove them from my flock. My broodies are generally very determined it is next to impossible for me to break them from broodiness even if I intend.
I hear that silkies are very good broodies. I sincerely hope that she will stick with the eggs. But I will suggest you to candle the eggs on day 10 and remove the eggs that are not developing.

I am sorry Trinny, I simply don't have experience with silkie chicken. Once I know that the given breed is docile and calm then I just don't add them. When I get an individual who get pecked regularly and who cannot resist I remove them from my flock. My broodies are generally very determined it is next to impossible for me to break them from broodiness even if I intend.
I hear that silkies are very good broodies. I sincerely hope that she will stick with the eggs. But I will suggest you to candle the eggs on day 10 and remove the eggs that are not developing.
Okay thankyou very much she is a very docil hen so I’ll just let her sit and see how she gose if it dosnt work I’ll try get my incubator back

Back
Top Bottom