Brown/gold leakage silkie chicks question

Eggsandbeyond

Songster
Apr 13, 2023
This is my first time ever raising silkies. I got some SR chicks they are black. They have brown/gold leakage? Coloring starting. Around their neck and some on their wing feathers. I saw somewhere that this generally means they are roosters. Is this true?

This is my first time ever raising silkies. I got some SR chicks they are black. They have brown/gold leakage? Coloring starting. Around their neck and some on their wing feathers. I saw somewhere that this generally means they are roosters. Is this true?
Males chickens are more likely to have red/brown/gold leakage in their wings, female chickens are more likely to have gold/red/brown leakage in their breasts.

So yes, what you see is a sign they are more likely cockerels (will grow up into roosters).

If you are able to post photos, that often helps with this kind of question like this.

What ages are your birds? Could you post pics? Both sexed can have color leakage. In traditional feathered birds the place of the leakage can be a clue. I'm not sure if that applies to silkies.

Individual birds start to crow at different times. Flock dynamics affects this more than breed, but I think in average my silkies are slower to crow

Ive only had a white silkie roo so i cant help with coloring but i can help with one thing, if you look at their head the boys will have longer more scraggly feathers on their poof! Their waddle thing will also be bigger! I hope this helps, but pics will always help

Not the best photo to show the coloring, but it is around their neck the gold and brown. And they do also have the long head feathers. I'll get more photos of their coloring in the am.

Attachments

• 20240308_122521.jpg
    20240308_122521.jpg
    667.9 KB · Views: 9

Back
Top Bottom