Buff call ducks, is this a good deal??

Rainstorm

Songster
10 Years
May 25, 2009
Lake Placid FLorida
Someone close by is selling a group of Buff call ducks, they are a former 4h project, she said some were blue ribbon winners, 4 females and 1 male. BUT 3 of them are 5 years old and 2 are 2-3 years old. She was asking $100 and i got her down to 75$ (before i knew the age)

Is this a good deal? she said they are good layers but still kinda worried about the age and how much longer they would be good layers

Last edited:
Buff Calls are pretty rare, and especially good-quality ones! I personally was looking for some all last summer and only found 2 breeders within reasonable driving distance, and neither was willing to sell ANY. Have you seen them at all? Or could you get her to send pictures? And do you know how old the drake is? I would be a little concerned if the one and only drake was one of the 5-year-olds.
hmm.png

Last edited:
I wouldnt be concerned at all witht he age one of my friends has a white male thats 10 years old still breeds and shows. I have Buffs and Im gonna be honest with you there is only one or two breeders that I have accually seen good Buffs come from one being here in KY. and the other sold out 2 years ago and I have no clue where his birds have went to. Use callducks.org as a reference for picture references of the national champions to compare them to!

I probably cant tell the SQ of them without pics, but as far as price Getting 5 grown calls for $75 is a fairly reasonable price. Buffs are rare, I cant find any 'round where i live. Do you know if they won grand/reserve champ at the fair? that might help tell the quality. To be honest winning a blue ribbon isnt all that great unless The bird won it and not the person showing it. There is a book called the american standerd of perfection for poultry. Dont know if there are buff calls in there but if might help with confirmation. #3-5 yrs isnt to bad age wise. My calls are 4 and doing fine.

Post some pics and then maybe we can help you more. But I'd say without seeing them that it sounds like a good price for 1 male and 4 females.

Back
Top Bottom