Buff Orpington Random Deaths

Aspen Anderson

Chirping
May 21, 2017
My Coop
My Coop
It's been a while since I've been on this site so I hope this is the right place to ask.

Recently I just learned that a member of our flock, our sassy buff orpington hen, just passed away unexpectedly. When told this, I remembered another buff orpington hen we owned years ago that suffered the same fate. Both hens were still young and laying. They were discovered dead and all the other hens were completely fine. Both orpingtons had no marks on them and we have no idea how they died.

I'm wondering if them both being orpingtons is just a coincidence or if buff orpingtons have a high mortality rate? Is there a common health issue with this breed? I'm so confused!

Buff Orpingtons do not have special problems that I know of. Is it hot where you are? I lost a hen last week in 105 degree temperatures. She was find in the morning, everything was normal. I even took her picture she looked so good! Later in the afternoon I found her dead right next to the water pot. You just never know with chickens. I'm assuming it was the heat for her. What is your temperature?

Buff Orpingtons do not have special problems that I know of. Is it hot where you are? I lost a hen last week in 105 degree temperatures. She was find in the morning, everything was normal. I even took her picture she looked so good! Later in the afternoon I found her dead right next to the water pot. You just never know with chickens. I'm assuming it was the heat for her. What is your temperature?

Thank you so much for your reply!
It's been no more than 100 here. Usually 95. And their coop is mostly in the shade (it's super arid here, so the shade actually makes a huge difference). It wasn't too hot when my other Orpington dropped dead years ago, but it's been so long that I could be remembering wrong. The thing is that all of our other hens are ok. This most recent one, Lemon, was always super broody and hid in the hen house quite often. But we have a silkie who is the same, and still doing just fine. Any idea I could come up with has some reason why it doesn't make sense.

Thank you so much for your reply!
It's been no more than 100 here. Usually 95. And their coop is mostly in the shade (it's super arid here, so the shade actually makes a huge difference). It wasn't too hot when my other Orpington dropped dead years ago, but it's been so long that I could be remembering wrong. The thing is that all of our other hens are ok. This most recent one, Lemon, was always super broody and hid in the hen house quite often. But we have a silkie who is the same, and still doing just fine. Any idea I could come up with has some reason why it doesn't make sense.
Chickens hide their health problems so you sometimes don't know anything is wrong until it is too late. You will probably never know what happened, I wouldn't dwell on it. Enjoy your other chickens and let things be. So sorry you lost a friend, I know what that is like. :hugs

Chickens hide their health problems so you sometimes don't know anything is wrong until it is too late. You will probably never know what happened, I wouldn't dwell on it. Enjoy your other chickens and let things be. So sorry you lost a friend, I know what that is like. :hugs
I wonder if the hen perhaps ate something bad for her? I know this example is a different animal, but when I was a kid I’d always let my ferrets run around in my room and play. I did this for years but one day my female found my skin ointment which was in a metal tubing and she ate into it. I’m sure it was a painful death for her which I wish I could have avoided. We didn’t understand how she was only two years and all of a sudden died until a few days later I found my lost tube and saw it had been chewed into.

Moral of the story, hens usually are selective about what can go in their mouth but they aren’t strangers to eating dumb things they shouldn’t, I’m wondering if that’s the case that your mysterious hen deaths could be digestive related? If you haven’t already disposed of the body and are comfortable giving it a try, you could always examin the stomach, gizzard and crop contents just to be sure.

I wonder if the hen perhaps ate something bad for her? I know this example is a different animal, but when I was a kid I’d always let my ferrets run around in my room and play. I did this for years but one day my female found my skin ointment which was in a metal tubing and she ate into it. I’m sure it was a painful death for her which I wish I could have avoided. We didn’t understand how she was only two years and all of a sudden died until a few days later I found my lost tube and saw it had been chewed into.

Moral of the story, hens usually are selective about what can go in their mouth but they aren’t strangers to eating dumb things they shouldn’t, I’m wondering if that’s the case that your mysterious hen deaths could be digestive related? If you haven’t already disposed of the body and are comfortable giving it a try, you could always examin the stomach, gizzard and crop contents just to be sure.

That is a possibility. I might have to check the coop to make sure there isn't anything dangerous so we don't lose any more. Thank you for your suggestion!

I have recently had this happen as well. Just posted a thread today with timeline of the deaths. Hens are happy and healthy then just drop dead. June and August had some heat which can see possibly but lately has been cooler but had another random today. Not knowing the unknown is the hardest specially when they are looking good and acting like their silly babes! If have any new updates or recommends please share!

It's been a while since I've been on this site so I hope this is the right place to ask.

Recently I just learned that a member of our flock, our sassy buff orpington hen, just passed away unexpectedly. When told this, I remembered another buff orpington hen we owned years ago that suffered the same fate. Both hens were still young and laying. They were discovered dead and all the other hens were completely fine. Both orpingtons had no marks on them and we have no idea how they died.

I'm wondering if them both being orpingtons is just a coincidence or if buff orpingtons have a high mortality rate? Is there a common health issue with this breed? I'm so confused!

I’ve read that Buff Orpington have a tendency towards obesity (they love to eat) and thus a higher risk for prolapse and becoming egg bound. I’m not as familiar with the former, but the latter definitely will result in death, and it’s fast, like 48 hours or something. I think it’s common to limit access to the feeder for this reason. HTH for future.

Back
Top Bottom