Buff Orpington Rooster

It depends greatly on the temperament of the individual bird. In my experience buff orpingtons are generally mellow birds, but my nephew had one that was a man hater/fighter.

It depends greatly on the temperament of the individual bird.
I purchased 3 straight run Buff Orpingtons, and they were all cockerels. Two I had to cull at 4 months. They were terrorizing the pullets to the point that the girls wouldn't even come off the roost to eat. They also thought I was fair game to peck, and not just a peck, but a bite and twist and pull.

The third was good with the girls, but challenged me just abut every day. I had to take a stick into the run to keep him from going for my feet/legs. He'd go for my hands when I set down the bowl of treats.

He died at two years old. I miss seeing him with the ladies. But I don't miss him.

I purchased 3 straight run Buff Orpingtons, and they were all cockerels. Two I had to cull at 4 months. They were terrorizing the pullets to the point that the girls wouldn't even come off the roost to eat. They also thought I was fair game to peck, and not just a peck, but a bite and twist and pull.

The third was good with the girls, but challenged me just abut every day. I had to take a stick into the run to keep him from going for my feet/legs. He'd go for my hands when I set down the bowl of treats.

He died at two years old. I miss seeing him with the ladies. But I don't miss him.
😬😬😬

We have 3 BO and 1 RIR rooster.. the RIR is my favorite - very mellow. Of the 3 BO.. one we have decided to call Hai Hai after the rooster in Moana (his IQ appears to be about the same and he tends to keep his space after having to be tracked down to pen up one evening after letting everyone out to free range), one is happy to come eat out of our hands and follows if we have snacks, the third one is always watching and if he thinks I've challenged him by trying to get by wherever he decided to stop and not move from I have to make sure I'm not giving him my backside or he goes after me!

I have a young buff Orpington who I believe is a cockerel. Does anyone have a buff Orpington rooster? And if so, what is their temperament?
BO roosters are so endearing until springtime when they become very aggressive. They are extremely protective of their hens and give them treats. They are very curious and will go to where the action is in the yard to "help" gardening, equipment repair, etc. You can't turn your back on them though. I love them. They are Gorgeous.

Back
Top Bottom