Buff silkie hen x buff/white Silkie rooster?

Motherhen518

In the Brooder
Jan 21, 2022
Hi all. I want to start by saying I only hatch for fun and most of my babies from all of my breeds stay with me.

My question is this:

I currently have one single pure buff silkie hen. She is a pretty girl with no leakage of any kind.

I am thinking of hatching from her in the spring and I am trying to decide who she might go best with or what I am likely to get with either of the following roosters. I would love to figure out my best shot to hatch a few buff chicks (I do know they'll likely carry genetics for white)

I have one rooster from an experienced breeder who was hatched from a pure buff pen. He is very very light colored, almost white but in good light you can see he is like a light peachy color. He also has a lot of red showing through in his comb and wattles and light gray skin.

My other option is a rooster I hatched from my own birds. The mother is a pure white hen and the father was a darker buff rooster with some black leakage in the tail feathers (we lost this rooster to an injury a few months back otherwise we would have used him)

The second rooster is my favorite and has a wonderful temperament and I know for sure his history. The first rooster according to the breeder should carry pure buff genes but he's so lightly colored.. his temperament is more flighty and "hands off"

Could I potentially get buff babies from either of these boys crossed to my girl? Not majorly important as I am not breeding to sell. I don't NEED buff chicks but would certainly love to have some from my Fancy girl.

As a bonus question! Does anyone know what I might get from crossing my pretty frizzle girl to either of these boys? My only other rooster options are Columbian, blue, pure white or gray.
20220815_184608.jpg
20220815_184454.jpg
FB_IMG_1660608896568.jpg
20220815_184408.jpg

Thank you!

Could I potentially get buff babies from either of these boys crossed to my girl?
Yes, you should have a chance of getting buff chicks from either crossing.

I would probably try the one you like better (nice temperament, darker buff color.)
But you could try the other one at a later time, if you don't like the results from the first one.

Back
Top Bottom