build your own meat bird

crazy rooster34

Songster
May 28, 2016
so i was wanting to breed my own meat birds and i was thinking barred rock x white rock/cornish
but was wondering what everyone else who's done this used yes i know crosses normally are the go to meat bird but i was looking for something of a fun project to work on.

There are a lot of threads about this topic in the Meat Birds forum. Essentially, it is most definitely not as simple as crossing Cornish and Plymouth Rocks. The genetics of the commercial Cornish X are far more highly selected and complex at this point. You will likely be disappointed with your results after going to considerable lengths to put together your breeding pens.

so i was wanting to breed my own meat birds and i was thinking barred rock x white rock/cornish
but was wondering what everyone else who's done this used yes i know crosses normally are the go to meat bird but i was looking for something of a fun project to work on.

Have you thought about just raising White Plymouth Rock chickens? You can use the cockerels and older hens for meat and the hens for eggs.

Back
Top Bottom