Building A Hatcher(NOT AN INCUBATOR)

I Love Layers

Crowing
5 Years
Apr 25, 2015
I have a Brinses Octagon 20 Advance, but I'm wanting to ser eggs at different times so now i am looking at building a hatchery. Any tips or links to other threads would be appreciated

I've had very good luck using the Styrobators as hatchers. I think I have a Little Giant and a Hovabator. I don't care for them much for incubators, but that's okay as I have a large cabinet incubator.

I picked the foam units up off CL for, I think they were about $30? I was mostly buying them for the turners they came with, but decided to use them as hatchers. Since I'm only needing them for a few days, they do great at holding temps and humidity.

I know you're asking about building your own, but you might want to keep this in mind if you run across a second hand foam unit.

I have a Brinses Octagon 20 Advance, but I'm wanting to ser eggs at different times so now i am looking at building a hatchery. Any tips or links to other threads would be appreciated
Google search Rush Lane Poultry. He has lots of tutorials on how to build an incubator, including using digital and bimetal thermostats. If you could wire a lamp with decent instructions, you can build an incubator. It's not rocket science, and most of us have the needed materials lying around our homes except for the thermostats, and they can be bought for $10 - 20.

Google search Rush Lane Poultry.  He has lots of tutorials on how to build an incubator, including using digital and bimetal thermostats.  If you could wire a lamp with decent instructions, you can build an incubator.  It's not rocket science, and most of us have the needed materials lying around our homes except for the thermostats, and they can be bought for  $10 - 20.

I'm looking for a hatcher not a bator

I'm looking for a hatcher not a bator
What is the difference?

I'm honestly asking. To me, a hatcher is a container that holds temperature and humidity. Has appropriate flooring for baby chicks to stand (why I like the wire mesh) and of course a window so I can see what's going on
smile.png
. No egg turner...that's the big difference between an incubator and a hatcher, to me. And of course, quantity
roll.png
. My incubator holds 141 eggs with the turners, my hatcher holds about 1/3 of that if I pack them pretty good. that allows me to have a continuous rolling incubation going, hatching each week.

I'm curious what you're looking for that wouldn't be in a basic incubator?

And thanks LG--I'd forgotten about Rush Lane's videos. They're wonderful!

If you want to build your own, search this site (and maybe google) for coolerbator. Coolers make and excellent starting point, the big problem with them as incubators is the lack of automatic turner options, but of course that is not an issue as a hatcher. I hatched thousands of chicks in my (jumbo size) coolerbator.

What is the difference? 

I'm honestly asking. To me, a hatcher is a container that holds temperature and humidity. Has appropriate flooring for baby chicks to stand (why I like the wire mesh) and of course a window so I can see what's going on :) . No egg turner...that's the big difference between an incubator and a hatcher, to me. And of course, quantity :rolleyes: . My incubator holds 141 eggs with the turners, my hatcher holds about 1/3 of that if I pack them pretty good. that allows me to have a continuous rolling incubation going, hatching each week. 

I'm curious what you're looking for that wouldn't be in a basic incubator?

And thanks LG--I'd forgotten about Rush Lane's videos. They're wonderful!

Incubator to me is anything that can hold chicks up to 18 days and hatch them also. A Hatcher is something that holds the eggs from Day 18 for chickens and hatches the eggs.
A lot of breeders have them so tou can set eggs in an incubator at a different time.

Back
Top Bottom