We are building a new coop too so I’m very interested I. What others are doing. I’ve been thinking about ways to go talk and slim for feed dispensing. We’ve used pvc pipe in the past just like yours. I hadn’t thought to simply make more and go that route - so I appreciate you bringing that idea forward.

Question: do you fill each tube individually or do you have a way they all fill simultaneously?
I fill them individually. I use a funnel and measuring cup.

I actually love the look of your coop and run. It is esthetically pleasing. One word of caution, however, is the amount of ventilation you have. I’m not sure the dryer vents will provide enough. Chickens need an abundance of ventilation.

Very good job on building your coop. Neat idea on the water drain too.
Since the windows are covered securely we leave them open on hot nights and all day unless it is raining. Our coop is also in a pretty shady spot so it stays pretty comfortable in there. :)

Great build! I’m all about fewer chores and we have our coop setup with this in mind.

I’ve been thinking about a warm weather water system with a hose hookup for the run... and yours gives me some ideas.

I will mention that I think I have the poop boards beat with my roost / poop collection setup as far as low maintenance... I’ve not cleaned it out in over a year, and the coop stays nice and clean.... although if it ever stops raining I’ll get to it, because it is due.

I’m not saying this to “one up” your poop boards... more just to add it to this thread, since I think your thread title will be found in a lot of searches in the future.

Some info on my poop collector can be found here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/rustic-covered-lean-to-coop-and-run.74040/

Anyway, I’d like to think if I hadn’t been working with an existing structure that I’d have built one very much like yours.... again, great build and thanks for sharing it!
Yep! Your poop clean-up system has mine beat!! Very cool.
I do plan on putting a little ice in the water bucket as it gets hotter if I need to. It is in a shady spot so so far it stays cool. I guess we will see!

...I do plan on putting a little ice in the water bucket as it gets hotter if I need to. It is in a shady spot so so far it stays cool. I guess we will see!

I really just meant “warm weather” watering system... as opposed to freezing temps when I couldn’t use it... but yeah hot summer temps are sometimes a challenge too!

What about adding a box on top with the top of the tubes level with the bottom of the box? So could fill the box and the tubes would fill automatically? Have to think how the tubes would be attached though ....
My original plan was to put an L on top of each one that went out of the coop like the water does with a box of feed elevated outside the coop. We will probably get to that in the fall or next spring. We were renovating our house while building this so time was running out.

The eaves are open too........wonders about the climate tho.
I wondered their location but it wasn’t available when I posted. Now I see Savannah, GA, so no worries about frostbite, but it gets even hotter there than where I am. I just know with all my windows and open ventilation it can get pretty stuffy during the hot days. Time will tell.

Back
Top Bottom