Building My First Flock-- Need Help With Breed Compatibility and Startup :)

Alright everyone... need a bit of help again with the coop. I have searched around the forums and I have found inspiration but I do not think that designing a safe coop by myself will be feasible. However, of the many coops on here that I've found and liked, the plans to build them seem far too inconsistent if they are even present at all. I hate to be a both but if anyone has recommendations for a good coop for my four hens, I have a 6'x10' area available (and possibly, but unlikely, more). I need something somewhat comprehensive in how it was built so that I can follow along. This includes the possibility of pre-built sets.

Again, sorry if it's an inconvenience but I am just trying to work this out as I go. Thankfully, I have a good amount of time to continue searching before my chicks will be large enough to go outside.

There are many ways to put together a coop, and you'll find more recommendations than there are people on the site.

For example, depending on my mood I might recommend 3 or 4 different approaches.

Right this moment, your post made me think of this style that I found online from the Minnesota Extension, as I think it had fairly excellent instructions on how to do it:

http://www.extension.umn.edu/food/s...poultry/build-your-own-poultry-hut/index.html

I offer this suggestion as it's reasonably cheap, fairly simple to make, and comes with instructions.

To winterize this coop, you'd need to cover the back, and create a bit of a "wall" in the front too, maybe a few hay bales stacked up, 2 or 3 feet inside.

INteresting concept of using the vinyl siding. I love the hoop coop style, especially the DL management on a soil floor. But, I'm wondering how well that vinyl siding would stay in place in high wind situations, and how predator proof it would be.

He claims it does well in wind, and is predator proof.

I think how predator proof the coop would be depends on how good a job you do securing the materials.

He also mentions that they run hardware cloth up the sides, underneath the siding.

If you aren't using it as a mobile tractor, you have more options available to prevent predators from digging in under it.

That said, I of course haven't built it and tried it out myself.

All, very good advice. good build, Mrs K!

Shed construction is going to be by far the easiest construction method, unless you put up a cattle panel coop.

Excellent points by aart as well.

I picked this book up at my local dump recycle area. It's got some awesome plans and construction details: http://www.biblio.com/book/sheds-ga...TYz0xCbxLgr_eGBiZ1E-XscIy5Dy9zpwHcaAl6f8P8HAQ

Do you have access to power tools? Friends who could come and help you in exchange for a pizza party? Any one you know who has just a little bit more building experience than you do?

Low cost building materials: Habitat for Humanity Re-store. Spring clean up, you will often see plenty of awesome building materials on the side of the road, just begging to be recycled. Every spring, i could get enough doors and windows to build a green house. Call a few local building contractors, especially the ones that do small remodeling jobs! Order all of your hardware cloth on line. Huge savings with that. You can make a chicken tractor with hardware cloth and 2 x 2 construction. That will boost your confidence, and give them a great brooder while buying you extra time to get that coop built. I built a 3 x 6, and it has been extremely valuable in my flock management.

I'm a 60+ year old biddy, and in the last few years have built a hoop coop, hoop green house, 2 tractors on my own, and helped hubby build a 10 x 12 coop. If you have access to power tools, it's amazing what you can accomplish. Oh yeah, clamps and ratchet straps are incredibly useful when working alone!
Thankfully, I do have access to my dad's power tools and his building knowledge. However, he is on business trips very often so I do not want to have to rely on him excessively, especially as this is my project. I am very lucky to have a handful of friends who are more than willing, and even excited, to help me try and construct my coop. And thank you very much for the tips on saving money!

He claims it does well in wind, and is predator proof.

I think how predator proof the coop would be depends on how good a job you do securing the materials.

He also mentions that they run hardware cloth up the sides, underneath the siding.

If you aren't using it as a mobile tractor, you have more options available to prevent predators from digging in under it.

That said, I of course haven't built it and tried it out myself.
Seems like an interesting design. It also looks like something I could do myself. I'll take this into consideration, thanks!

Back
Top Bottom