Built a Brooder For My Coop out of Garbage

Tre3hugger

Let Your Freak Flag Fly
Mar 21, 2020
NW Massachusetts
So this season I have been brooding in a separate coop than my main one, but now I need that coop for breeding groups, and am trying to consolidate all my chickens (around 50 atm), so I decided it was time to finally tackle the in-coop brooder. I am looking forward to having my chicks in the extra secure main coop, upping security and making chores easier.

I also decided I wasn't gonna spend any money on this. It all started when my boss was gonna throw away a big metal shelving unit. From there I crafted this frankenstein brooder. All the legs are different and it doesn't look good but I am really proud of it. I did not buy ONE single thing for this project. All scrap and trash. I have never worked with wood, metal and plastic so cohesively on the same project. I got to use my angle grinder a lot to make bolts from threaded rod and cut out spaces in the metal for the wood to fit. The clear plastic is roofing material I had that was slated for the dumpster.

Dimensions are about 8ftx2.5ft. I also grabbed a shelf so I can divide it if I want. Will prob be handy for collecting chicks. It is surprisingly light and can be moved by two people. Anyway, here are some pics!

20220727_185059.jpg

20220727_185152.jpg

20220727_185125.jpg

So this season I have been brooding in a separate coop than my main one, but now I need that coop for breeding groups, and am trying to consolidate all my chickens (around 50 atm), so I decided it was time to finally tackle the in-coop brooder. I am looking forward to having my chicks in the extra secure main coop, upping security and making chores easier.

I also decided I wasn't gonna spend any money on this. It all started when my boss was gonna throw away a big metal shelving unit. From there I crafted this frankenstein brooder. All the legs are different and it doesn't look good but I am really proud of it. I did not buy ONE single thing for this project. All scrap and trash. I have never worked with wood, metal and plastic so cohesively on the same project. I got to use my angle grinder a lot to make bolts from threaded rod and cut out spaces in the metal for the wood to fit. The clear plastic is roofing material I had that was slated for the dumpster.

Dimensions are about 8ftx2.5ft. I also grabbed a shelf so I can divide it if I want. Will prob be handy for collecting chicks. It is surprisingly light and can be moved by two people. Anyway, here are some pics!

View attachment 3202217
View attachment 3202211

View attachment 3202222
I love it! Frankenstein brooder - haha! Great job - and it won't take up floor space in your coop. And the others won't be able to easily roost on that slanted roof. Really well done!

Back
Top Bottom