Bullied and Bloodied Rooster Help

AELCooper

In the Brooder
May 20, 2017
New chicken mama here:

We have 6 hens and 2 roos. They are 11 weeks old. (3 buff Orpington, 2 cherry eggers, 2 Polish, 1 Egyptian Fayoumi). Our Polish Roo--Alfredo--has been pecked horribly this past week. At first, it looked like he was missing feathers, then a pinkish spot on his head, now a horrible bloody patch. We separated him from the flock. Alfredo, though largest of them, is the submissive Rooster between the two (Fayoumi named TsoTso).

Questions:
1. What should I do?
2. What is happening that entices this violence?
3. Any tips on reintroduction? We are likely going to rehome one of the roos regardless.

Thanks!

This is our first major incident after pasty butt when they were wee things.

IMG_4602.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_4603.JPG
    IMG_4603.JPG
    234.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4604.JPG
    IMG_4604.JPG
    280.4 KB · Views: 6
Those head feathers can draw attention in the worst way.

You should put some blu-kote or pick-no-more on it. Then he can go back in with the others.

I ended up re-homing all my polish as the other birds could not resist the head feathers.

Ahh. Thank you for the input. I will have to pick up some of the wound product. Should I cut his feathers? Or tie them up?

chickens cannot resist pecking at red.
in his case it is the blood.

as long as you are re-homing, I would let him be the one to go. it sounds like the other rooster has claimed all the hens. He will still pick on the Polish fella when you re-introduce him to the flock.. he could even kill him..

cutting his head feathers won't do any good, that is not what the other rooster is bothered by .

......jiminwisc.........

Back
Top Bottom