northflchicken

Hatching
Apr 12, 2018
Hello! First time chicken owner here
We got chicks last Saturday (4 day old black sex-links, 4 day old brown leghorns, 4 1-week old golden wyandottes) and I've noticed one of the wyandottes is being bullied. The other chicks are not allowing her to drink or eat. She is the same size now as the younger chicks and not nearly as big as the other wyandottes. We also got 2 1-week old guineas who we have together with the chicks. I know guineas are known to be bullies however, it seems to be all of them against this one chick. There seems to be no other issues.
I separated her so she could eat and drink for now but I need a long term solution. Any advice?

How big is your brooder, and what temperature are you brooding at. Crowding will cause pecking as well as combining unfamiliar chicks together.

Chances are that something is wrong with the chick. Perhaps it is very little and not as strong as the rest or it has an impairment you have overlooked. That is how mother nature weeds out the weak ones. Best bet is to move her out of the brooder and just do her separate for a week then see what happens. Good luck

Hello! First time chicken owner here
We got chicks last Saturday (4 day old black sex-links, 4 day old brown leghorns, 4 1-week old golden wyandottes) and I've noticed one of the wyandottes is being bullied. The other chicks are not allowing her to drink or eat. She is the same size now as the younger chicks and not nearly as big as the other wyandottes. We also got 2 1-week old guineas who we have together with the chicks. I know guineas are known to be bullies however, it seems to be all of them against this one chick. There seems to be no other issues.
I separated her so she could eat and drink for now but I need a long term solution. Any advice?
I am currently having the same problem with one of my chicks. What was your solution? Did it help?

I had this problem, so I put a clear plastic tub in the brooder with food and water in it with the chick. The others could see it and not peck at it. Kind of like integration with bigger chickens but on a smaller scale! After a couple of days when it had gotten a bit bigger, I let it out and all seemed to be OK.

Back
Top Bottom