Bumble foot and dried mud

Sandyd

Songster
11 Years
Sep 12, 2012
Would dried on mud contribute to bumble foot? It has rained a lot here and not having a covered run, it has been pure mud. Now that it has dried up a little, I noted the hens had dried mud on their feet and started to catch them to get it off between their toes, etc. I have several that have the start of bumble foot and full blown bumble foot. I worked on 10 last night bandaged them gave them each a shot of penicilin and have the rest of them to look at till the whole flock is done. Planning to get some sand into the run in the very near future. I have never had this in 25 years of chicken keeping. Deep litter method in the hen house and none are limping. Just swollen pads and scab under the dried mud after I got it off. Read that the bumble foot was a staph infection so am wondering if I need to shut them up and disinfect the large run. Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated.

Would dried on mud contribute to bumble foot? It has rained a lot here and not having a covered run, it has been pure mud. Now that it has dried up a little, I noted the hens had dried mud on their feet and started to catch them to get it off between their toes, etc. I have several that have the start of bumble foot and full blown bumble foot. I worked on 10 last night bandaged them gave them each a shot of penicilin and have the rest of them to look at till the whole flock is done. Planning to get some sand into the run in the very near future. I have never had this in 25 years of chicken keeping. Deep litter method in the hen house and none are limping. Just swollen pads and scab under the dried mud after I got it off. Read that the bumble foot was a staph infection so am wondering if I need to shut them up and disinfect the large run. Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated.
Bumblefoot is usually a result of jumping from high places ie: roosts.

Back
Top Bottom