Bumblefoot - infection

Aschuchert

Songster
9 Years
Nov 3, 2014
Tempe
Hi, we have an old hen that's had a reoccurring bumblefoot infection. She's got it again, treating fot 3 weeks now and this time the silver sulphdiazine is not treating the infection.
My question is can injectible penicillin treat this type of infection with results? She doesn't lay often any more so not eating her eggs isn't a problem.
Thanks

We successfully treated our rooster who had bumblefoot in both feet by giving him Cephalexin orally mixed in his food, and soaking his feet in Tricide Neo. It took a while..two or three weeks.......but he did seem to make a full recovery except for a slight limp, I would use Cephalexin before I'd use penicillin, since Cephalexin is for infections of the skin. Before we got the Tricide Neo, we were soaking his feet in Epsom Salts once a day, rinse, and then applied Veterycin, dried, then applied triple antibiotic ointment. We later switched to the Tricide Neo, soaking once a day for five to seven minutes, followed by drying and applying of triple antibiotic ointment. We did not wrap his foot, just kept his footing in his pen as clean as possible, and we did not do surgery. Some people do the Tricide Neo soak twice a day and don't do an oral antibiotic... we didn't, since we also had the Cephalexin treatment orally.

Back
Top Bottom