Bumblefoot surgery necessary?

bethanyjbarrette

Chirping
Aug 3, 2022
I’ve attached a photo of bumblefoot I discovered today. I’ve never had a chicken with bumblefoot before, so I’m uncertain how to tell if I will need to remove it with a scalpel, or if soaking and wrapping daily will allow it to heal.

Attachments

• D831FCAB-4C97-42BE-95CF-8F694D4F1EB9.jpeg
    D831FCAB-4C97-42BE-95CF-8F694D4F1EB9.jpeg
    407.1 KB · Views: 47
That doesn’t look like it is swollen or has an abscess inside it yet. So I would treat it medically. Betadine (povidone iodine) 10% solution mixed with sugar into a paste can be applied to the sore (known as sugardine,) and covered with a 2x2 gauze folded in quarters. Then take vet wrap or cohesive bandage cut into 1 inch strips, and wrap the foot as in this video below, and change it every other day. Some use PRID drawing salve on mild bumblefoot as well.

That doesn’t look like it is swollen or has an abscess inside it yet. So I would treat it medically. Betadine (povidone iodine) 10% solution mixed with sugar into a paste can be applied to the sore (known as sugardine,) and covered with a 2x2 gauze folded in quarters. Then take vet wrap or cohesive bandage cut into 1 inch strips, and wrap the foot as in this video below, and change it every other day. Some use PRID drawing salve on mild bumblefoot as well.

Thank you! It is a bit swollen and she is limping, but I don’t think it’s too far progressed. Should I try to get the little “kernel” out after soaking, or just try the ointment without trying to get anything out?

Back
Top Bottom