Bumblefoot vs ankle sprain HELP

cheezenkwackers

Crowing
7 Years
Aug 28, 2016
Memphis, TN
My 3 month old drake was limping when I came home from being gone for 3 days (last night). My 23 year old son was caring for them and never noticed 🙄. Anyway, his ankle is swollen and warm. The pad of his foot is swollen but soft. I do not see a scab. I gave him a ling Epsom salt bath soak last night and today. I am concerned because it seems a bit more swollen today.

B7610FF5-0232-4B49-921A-5DE06E9C8F19.jpeg
93E72B2A-7427-4F8B-8B98-DAED90A49DE1.jpeg

That does not seem like bumble - I hope you can determine the cause. For now maybe you should contain him to a small area so he rests it.

My 3 month old drake was limping when I came home from being gone for 3 days (last night). My 23 year old son was caring for them and never noticed 🙄. Anyway, his ankle is swollen and warm. The pad of his foot is swollen but soft. I do not see a scab. I gave him a ling Epsom salt bath soak last night and today. I am concerned because it seems a bit more swollen today.

View attachment 3231119View attachment 3231118
Oh nooo! I know ducks can slip tendons, and sprain their legs sometimes…I’d put him in a dog crate to limit movement until you know for sure what it is, here I’ll tag some people who might know how to help you better
@Quatie
@Miss Lydia

Poor guy. Rest is going to be the main thing. I would also consider an anti-inflammatory drug. I use ibuprofen and I know others use aspirin. Here is the dosage for Infant Motrin - 5-10 mg/kg 2-3 times a day. Or 0.1ml per lb. Just don't use grape flavor. I heard there is something bad in grape flavored drugs, so I always avoid it just in case.

I would also feel over his foot and compare to the good one. See if you can feel any differences. If you feel anything different from the two, it is likely just sprained.

Giving him water therapy can also help take the weight off his leg and allow it to heal and strengthen with less weight on it. Deep water where he can't touch the ground is the best. This is especially good with Pekin, because they are so much heavier and take a longer to heal.

It is always possible that it is infected too, you can have an antibiotic on hand if things worsen. Otherwise, I would try other things before an antibiotic.

Poor guy. Rest is going to be the main thing. I would also consider an anti-inflammatory drug. I use ibuprofen and I know others use aspirin. Here is the dosage for Infant Motrin - 5-10 mg/kg 2-3 times a day. Or 0.1ml per lb. Just don't use grape flavor. I heard there is something bad in grape flavored drugs, so I always avoid it just in case.

I would also feel over his foot and compare to the good one. See if you can feel any differences. If you feel anything different from the two, it is likely just sprained.

Giving him water therapy can also help take the weight off his leg and allow it to heal and strengthen with less weight on it. Deep water where he can't touch the ground is the best. This is especially good with Pekin, because they are so much heavier and take a longer to heal.

It is always possible that it is infected too, you can have an antibiotic on hand if things worsen. Otherwise, I would try other things before an antibiotic.
Thank you! I will continue his soaks and get him some medicine. My biggest concern is that it is infected and I wait too long to give him antibiotics. But it seems more like an injury to me.
Btw, he is 3/4 Khaki, 1/4 Appleyard and the size of a pure Khaki drake. This picture is from last week.
C7AA3978-00C6-428C-B4AF-347A4BD5EE1B.jpeg

Thank you! I will continue his soaks and get him some medicine. My biggest concern is that it is infected and I wait too long to give him antibiotics. But it seems more like an injury to me.
Btw, he is 3/4 Khaki, 1/4 Appleyard and the size of a pure Khaki drake. This picture is from last week.
View attachment 3231491
Oops. Sorry 😅. I clearly have Pekins on the brain.

If you want to start antibiotics, you can. You have to go with what feels right to you.

View attachment 3231491
I’d just let him rest and see how he does, sometimes these things heal fast, sometimes they take time. He’s gorgeous !!!!

View attachment 3231491
I can't offer any further assistance, just wanted to say he is beautiful 😍

Back
Top Bottom