Bump on eyelid and swelling under nose of a 2 week old chick

axon

In the Brooder
Nov 5, 2021
Hi BYC šŸ‘‹

I have this chick that hatched 2 weeks before along with 7 others. Last week I noticed a bump on the eyelid, it was rather small but it kept getting bigger. Pictures from it's right:
IMG_20221218_131255_345.jpg
IMG_20221218_131526_136~2.jpg

Left and center:
IMG_20221218_131304_171~2.jpg
IMG_20221218_131511_656~2.jpg

There is some swelling under nostrils as well, on the left it's relatively less and no bump on eyelid. The eyelid bump doesn't feel like it contains pus but rather feels like "hard" skin growth.

I had used a little chlorhexidine gluconate(liquid savlon) with warm water via a towel on bump and swelling for 2 days but didn't seem to help.

The chick is active and playful, no other noticable issues yet.

I would greatly appreciate some advice from the community. Thank you.

Last edited:
Looks like it may be Dry Fowl Pox, which if it is, then it will have to run its course over the next few weeks. Take care if swabbing Fowl Pox scabs not to disturb them too much since this can cause spread. Iodine is often used to help dry them up, but you would want to just apply it as a dab or dot it on, don't wipe.

Eating, drinking, active and playful is a good sign.

Here's some reading about Fowl Pox https://the-chicken-chick.com/fowl-pox-prevention-treatmen/

Hi, thank you for the help šŸ™ Just wanted to share my experience of the last couple of weeks.

I had isolated the chick and it lived 3 more weeks without major issues until the lesions covered nostrils and one eye, after which a secondary infection appeared with swelling around the eye. Then it was pretty much game over as unfortunately, wet pox also appeared and the chick died sooner. I'll miss her.
IMG_20221218_131527_549.jpg

After this point, I no longer isolated any other pox infected chick as it was more work. Few of it's siblings also died similarly. Only two survived from this hatch, they had the lesions on their legs, which seems to be far less deadly than on face.

I did a few things from what I learned here on BYC and elsewhere:
  • Vaccinated all my other uninfected chickens ASAP (they might have been vaccinated before as well). No big chicken got it so far.
  • Mixed Povidone Iodine USP 10% to their water for the last few weeks.
  • Made sure no mosquitoes can get in their coop where they sleep at night. Blocked all possible tiny holes of mosquito entrance.
    • Installed a bright LED yellow light in front of the coop door, it keeps the mosquitoes away from that specific spot while my chickens slowly make their way into the coop during sunset. I simply turn it off after locking the door.
I also had another hatch of chicks which were a month older than my recent hatch, they also got it before I could vaccinate them or control mosquitoes. But this time, losing chicks already, I tried out (Crest) toothpaste... Yes... And it seems to stop the growth of the lesions when applied before they get VERY BIG, and in 3-5 days they fall off dry! I applied dilute iodine with cotton on the spot after the lesions fell off. The black chick almost had no red spot for it's last lesion, so I skipped for that one.
IMG_20230112_111255_986.jpg
IMG_20230112_111603_833.jpg
IMG_20230112_111140_903.jpg

There was one chick from this hatch that got it early and died as its lesions were too big, covered up the nose and then secondary infection, toothpaste didn't work for when I applied. I don't know why toothpaste may( or may not) help or why it helps but for sure it didn't cause any harm.

It was a stressful few weeks, but I learned so many new things, hopefully this helps someone else. Will try hatching cute chicks again next month from the same hen and hopefully not fail like this time, thanks BYC! :frow

Hi, thank you for the help šŸ™ Just wanted to share my experience of the last couple of weeks.

I had isolated the chick and it lived 3 more weeks without major issues until the lesions covered nostrils and one eye, after which a secondary infection appeared with swelling around the eye. Then it was pretty much game over as unfortunately, wet pox also appeared and the chick died sooner. I'll miss her.

After this point, I no longer isolated any other pox infected chick as it was more work. Few of it's siblings also died similarly. Only two survived from this hatch, they had the lesions on their legs, which seems to be far less deadly than on face.

I did a few things from what I learned here on BYC and elsewhere:
  • Vaccinated all my other uninfected chickens ASAP (they might have been vaccinated before as well). No big chicken got it so far.
  • Mixed Povidone Iodine USP 10% to their water for the last few weeks.
  • Made sure no mosquitoes can get in their coop where they sleep at night. Blocked all possible tiny holes of mosquito entrance.
    • Installed a bright LED yellow light in front of the coop door, it keeps the mosquitoes away from that specific spot while my chickens slowly make their way into the coop during sunset. I simply turn it off after locking the door.
I also had another hatch of chicks which were a month older than my recent hatch, they also got it before I could vaccinate them or control mosquitoes. But this time, losing chicks already, I tried out (Crest) toothpaste... Yes... And it seems to stop the growth of the lesions when applied before they get VERY BIG, and in 3-5 days they fall off dry! I applied dilute iodine with cotton on the spot after the lesions fell off. The black chick almost had no red spot for it's last lesion, so I skipped for that one.

There was one chick from this hatch that got it early and died as its lesions were too big, covered up the nose and then secondary infection, toothpaste didn't work for when I applied. I don't know why toothpaste may( or may not) help or why it helps but for sure it didn't cause any harm.

It was a stressful few weeks, but I learned so many new things, hopefully this helps someone else. Will try hatching cute chicks again next month from the same hen and hopefully not fail like this time, thanks BYC! :frow
I'm sorry to hear you had a few losses.

Thank you for the information about treatment tips and the photos as well. I'm glad that you were able to treat the majority and they have recovered.

Back
Top Bottom