ChickaChicka1

Songster
Feb 16, 2024
CO
Does anyone on here know anything at all about showing rabbits? And having rabbits in general? I have so many questions and I can't seem to find any answers yet...

What were your questions?
My questions for showing rabbits:
- Is 1.5 years old too old to show a buck?
- How do you tell if a 3 month old holland lop would be show quality in the future?

Other questions:
- What is the best brand of rabbit feed for young rabbits?
- What's the best housing setup? I was thinking an exercise pen, but if I got a second rabbit that was unfixed, how could I keep them both efficiently but separate with limited indoor space? ...if that makes sense...

Thank you!

My questions for showing rabbits:
- Is 1.5 years old too old to show a buck?
Not if he's still in good shape
- How do you tell if a 3 month old holland lop would be show quality in the future?
Do you have a standard of perfection?
Other questions:
One that's affordable and always in stock. I think we did a dumor when we raised ours
- What's the best housing setup? I was thinking an exercise pen, but if I got a second rabbit that was unfixed, how could I keep them both efficiently but separate with limited indoor space? ...if that makes sense...

Thank you!
I used wire cages in the barn, as do most breeders. I never kept rabbits inside apart from specific over nights when I needed access to them for some reason

I would suggest you get the book, Storey's Guide to Raising Rabbits by Bob Bennett. Then find the farm advisor's office and get the information available on the 4H rabbit projects.

Is 1.5 years old too old to show a buck?
That's when mine looked their best. Too young and they look feminine. I've seen rabbits shown well past their prime. My 5yo buck always did well on the table.
Get the SOP book by ARBA. ARBA also has a site, and I suggest joining your state's Facebook group for advice and show dates.
Other questions:
Find whatever happens to be in stock near you and post pics of labels here. It depends on what breed and level of condition you want them in.
- What's the best housing setup?
For show rabbits anything off of the ground and anything that doesn't require shavings unless you can clean them out twice a week at least. Dirty or pee stained rabbits don't show well. If you plan on breeding an indoor set up is ideal because your bucks and does will have an easier time reproducing without going sterile, stressing, or overheating. I would not suggest free roaming unless you have a completely rabbit proofed house.
I was thinking an exercise pen, but if I got a second rabbit that was unfixed, how could I keep them both efficiently but separate with limited indoor space? ...if that makes sense...
You can cycle which rabbit is in the pen.

Back
Top Bottom