Sponsored Post Busting Myths About Medicated Chick Starters

Yes, but I was speaking in the reference to medicated poultry feed as shown for Swanson chick starter and Farmer's best chicken starter. Now if you want bacitracin, you have to put it there yourself - you can't buy feed that has it already.

Yes, but I was speaking in the reference to medicated poultry feed as shown for Swanson chick starter and Farmer's best chicken starter. Now if you want bacitracin, you have to put it there yourself - you can't buy feed that has it already.
I think you can because bacitracin was not on the "list".

Not sure I want to, lol. It's one of those myths that so deeply ingrained that it won't matter what I say, people will still think that waterfowl can't eat medicated starters.
I'm finding out right now...the ducks are on medicated feed and have been since they hatched. I haven't found any issues with this yet...

I went to feed and realized that I ran out of medicated feed at the end of last week...lol. They hatched out July 11 and have been on medicated food for three weeks. This is my first time with ducks but my spidey senses haven't detected anything that would concern me. They're incredibly robust and doing well for wild ducklings, I think.

The chicks won't have been on medicated long enough...so I'll continue with medicated food. The ducks hang with them so they'll get back on it tomorrow.

Good thread. Thank you for the excellent article and discussion on medicated or non-medicated, that is the question.

As I broody hatch, I've done it both ways. Babes usually get a gentle introduction with momma, but I have had outbreaks in that coop, and with my often milder winters, have chosen to use medicated feed for all new chicks now.

I have had problems in the past, before outbreak, with broody hatched chicks reacting to low vitamin B levels (funky toe walking) that was cured with additional vitamin B.

Hard to know if it was lurking coccidia then too, as coccidia can cause a lowered B level, but with the quick remedy from vitamins, I suspicion the chicks responded because of low B levels as I did not treat for coccidia.

If you have harsh winters, I find keepers don't have as much trouble as those of us it wet areas. Some areas of Oregon are horrible for coccidiosis.

Once it is on the premises, it is important to stay ahead of infection (and the consequent build up in the soil from proliferation in its bird host). Medicated feed is definitely a tool in that direction.

LofMc

Back
Top Bottom