Button Quail edible?

Mr Oviraptor

Songster
Dec 9, 2021
I recently posted a thing about what to do with extra males, Nobody in my area wants Button Quail, Soo really my only option would be bachelor pad or eating, If people eat Button Quail, I know they are small but it would be about like eating Sparrow or Starling, Has anyone here ever ate them? And are they easy to clean?

I recently posted a thing about what to do with extra males, Nobody in my area wants Button Quail, Soo really my only option would be bachelor pad or eating, If people eat Button Quail, I know they are small but it would be about like eating Sparrow or Starling, Has anyone here ever ate them? And are they easy to clean?
I only keep bachelor pads for eating and breeding. So unless they are pets, it's hard to justify the extra work and such that goes into keeping a bachelor pad which also has antics unfold. They will mount each other still.

I have spent time processing and eating bantam chickens, (most larger than quail).. making them into stock, casseroles, enchiladas, etc. Being used to the tasteless market chicken sponges.. the gameiness of fresh mature meat gets associated with rot (somehow in my mind) and is an acquired flavor for myself the family. Fresh processed birds last so much longer in my fridge (air cooled, not ice chest bath).. 2 full weeks and no slime!

I've also fed them (whole, dispatched) to my feral barn cats.

And I'm not above humanely dispatching and simply returning to the Earth, feeding the wildlife (donate to a local raptor rescue or zoo) composting (outdoors for fertilizer), dog food, etc.

Getting the innards out with my hands was more challenging than larger birds. Sometimes we skinned instead of plucking and sometimes just cut the meat off.. and/or removed the parts/pieces from the outer carcass not touching innards.

Now I'ma get nasty.. I'd even feed them back to the other birds (maybe plucked or cut up a bit), make a maggot bucket, etc.

There are many options and really none of them has to be considered wasteful.. but flock management is ALWAYS valuable, however you go about it! :thumbsup

One more quick note.. if you haven't harvested birds before.. best to age in the fridge a couple days for rigor to pass.. unless your very fast getting them cooked up after processing. Maybe it wont matter as much on that small a bird.. but pass on the leather for me. Hope you will update and let us know how it goes!

I've heard of people eating them, so they are edible. I've seen skewers of sparrow for sale, so if they're edible, buttons are too. I imagine you'd eat them bones and all like ormolu.
I've ate Sparrow before, Thats why I mentioned it lol, But I might try eating them extra males, Might be able to make Quail Poppers!, Jalapeno and cream cheese stuffing

No button quail are not edible at all. I mean why would you even think about eating something that weighs only a couple ounces? Obviously button quail are pets and not even coturnix are big enough to be meat birds! T_T

Nope they are not edible and never will be.
These birds are edible in that people can and sometimes have eaten them. They're probably a lot of work to get a mouthful out of, sure, but when has that stopped humans from trying?

I understand if you don't like the idea of eating them because you consider them strictly pets, but remember that one culture's pet is another culture's dinner.

Back
Top Bottom