button quail. Where do I get them?

L&Schickens

Songster
11 Years
Jun 9, 2008
Washington State
My son has been begging me for button quail ever since he saw some at an auction several months ago. I would not buy them from that particular auction and would rather get them from a private breeder or hatchery. Anyone know a few places to look? He wanted them for christmas, but I said no. Maybe for his b-day the end of March though.
Thanks!

You could always buy him an incubator for x-mas, then order eggs for his birthday. Or, incubator for x-mas, then make him set it up over the weekend, order eggs to be shipped out the following Monday. They should then be laying eggs shortly before his birthday, when you can let him set a few more on his birthday. Or if they're laying fertiles beforehand, let him set some to hatch on his birthday! Sounds like the perfect plan!

Oh, to answer your question, lol, I'd get an incubator and try to hatch your own eggs. A learning experience for the boy and so much more fun!

From what I've heard, quail eggs aren't as problematic as the chicken eggs. Just make sure that they're well insulated and that they don't sit in freezing temps for prolonged periods. I'm in PA and I personally plan to order eggs as soon as the holidays are over.
smile.png

If you make sure that they're shipped from a responsible seller, you should be fine on the first part. You could probably ask the P.O. to hold the package until you arrive as well (C/O Your Town's Post Office, Your name, Your address). Anyways, other than shipping, check classifieds. Craigslist and any other popular local classifieds ad. Place a wanted ad, as I know that some of the breeders around here only place ads for their buttons on rare occassion, though there are almost always buttons or eggs available. Or, if you only have an issue with the auction, not the buttons in particular, maybe check the auction and figure out exactly who is selling them to buy some straight from their place.

I wouldn't order hatching eggs this time of year. The weather is just too unpredictable. People have enough trouble getting packages in one piece without worrying about freezing temps.

Birthday in March sounds like a good plan.

This time of year, you can order eggs from someone relatively close to you and they should be okay. I got some button eggs shipped to me from Alaska in the early part of November last year, and still had over 50% hatch.

Back
Top Bottom