Buy Gas on Credit?

DrakeMaiden

Overrun with Drakes
12 Years
Jun 8, 2007
Kitsap County, WA
Everytime you buy something with a credit card, the business you buy from owes a % of the sale to the credit card company. Since gas prices have risen so high, now at least one gas station has decided to refuse purchases with credit cards. I wonder if this will become a trend?

If I ever went to a place of business that accepts credit cards and denies you purchase of a particular item because of its high cost(s) I would not only never visit there again I would do my best to make everyone aware of thier unprofessional business practices. Just because something is expensive does not mean you can refuse a credit card payment if your business accepts it.

Oh and the percentages are not high with Visa and Mastercard. That is why many small business do not accept Discover or Amex, they have high fees.

I doubt that gas station will have this policy for long. They will suffer financially for it.

Edited to add: If you are not going to accept CC's for payment on gas then you should not accept CC's as payment for any good(s) or services you offer!

Last edited:
Actually it says in the article that they haven't lost much business.

I do like the idea of discounts for those who pay cash -- they said 4 to 10 cents per gallon. I think that should be a wider policy. High volume credit/debit cards have run up the cost of everything we buy now, because businesses pass their costs along to the consumer.

I don't know how much of a trend it will be.

My experiences with credit card versus cash.

I like to pay for gas at the pump. It's quick and easy. When visiting California my stress level goes way up for a number of reasons. One is gas stations. I have a hard time finding pay at the pump in the town near my folks. Also the gas stations with the less expensive seem to be the cash only stations. I have heard that the lack of pay at the pump is to decrease gas theft. Maybe, maybe not.

I have seen a few gas stations that give a discount for paying with cash.

A local lumber yard will give us a discount if we pay with cash.

A local hardware store will not so we charged our purchase today. His loss. He could have given us a 1% discount and still made money. We charged our purchase and got a 1% dividend. So much for trying to help the small town business.

We buy most of our gas at Krogers, $0.03 off per gallon with a Krogers card, $0.10 off for $100 grocery purchase in a month. No cash discount there though.

I have been in convenience stores that will not accept credit cards for purchases under $10.

We don't carry much cash because we are 25 miles from where we do most of our shopping and our banking. Credit cards have been the way to go because of our dividends. But it the little guy wants to give us a discount for cash we will oblige even it it means less dividends for us.

Back
Top Bottom