buying a small coop to start

mlabresh

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 17, 2012
So we're looking at buying a small coop to start us out. Not sure how attached to it we'll be, but if it's not so great we'll rebuild later. Or maybe be able to modify this one. We figured out that to buy this one would end up being a little cheaper than to make what we want to make on our own. It looks sturdy enough.. we'll just want to build a bigger run for it. I'm thinking we'll have this piece put on wheels so we can use it as a tractor and have a separate walk-in run that we can bump it up to for other times. Has anyone else gone this route? How long did you end up using your pre-fab coop? Did you attach it to your run? I'm excited to get it and a bit relieved that we don't have a deadline on building a coop anymore.
smile.png
It comes in 4x4 (for 6 chickens) and 4x6. We're getting the smaller one and if we decide to expand our flock, we'll build something bigger/add on.

A 4x4 coop will only hold 4 chickens. You should give 4 sq. ft per bird inside (not including nesting boxes), and 10sq ft outside. I can't see if the nesting boxes are in the coops, or outside. If they are inside, you would probably only be able to hold 2-3 in the smaller coop.

Honestly, if you are already thinking about expanding in the future, you should buy the biggest coop you can afford now (chicken math catches up to you very quickly). It will be better to have too much room now, then not enough later. If you can get a big coop now, it will save you money in the long run.

Last edited:
Thank you! I was wondering about that. One of the things I was not crazy about with this design is that he has the nesting boxes inside. I didn't think that would be big enough for 6 either. He says 4x4 for up to 6 chickens or the 4x6 for 8-12. I don't think either would be big enough for as many as he says. Our plans we had drawn were for a 5x5 for our 6 chickens with external nesting boxes. I'm really unsure as to whether we will expand at all or not. If we do, I don't expect to within the first couple years. But if we plan on keeping them in their first coop for that amount of time (whether or not we build bigger to add or just provide more space), I think bigger would probably be better.

Also, I didn't see any built in roost in his pictures, so that would be more space that we'd have to use inside when we add that in. Here's the inside of the bigger one..

So, I guess with internal boxes, it would be more like 4x5? Will that be big enough?

This is another that I considered... But I don't know the dimensions of it. Opinions?

Go bigger, you will regret getting a smaller coop. I initially wanted to get a 4x6 coop, but within a few weeks I went from 8 chickens to 42 with 24 eggs in the incubator
hide.gif
. I went with a 10x16 shed and converted it into a coop. I have already had to add a second run. Trust me, chicken math WILL get you!

Thank you! I was wondering about that. One of the things I was not crazy about with this design is that he has the nesting boxes inside. I didn't think that would be big enough for 6 either. He says 4x4 for up to 6 chickens or the 4x6 for 8-12. I don't think either would be big enough for as many as he says. Our plans we had drawn were for a 5x5 for our 6 chickens with external nesting boxes. I'm really unsure as to whether we will expand at all or not. If we do, I don't expect to within the first couple years. But if we plan on keeping them in their first coop for that amount of time (whether or not we build bigger to add or just provide more space), I think bigger would probably be better.

Also, I didn't see any built in roost in his pictures, so that would be more space that we'd have to use inside when we add that in. Here's the inside of the bigger one..

So, I guess with internal boxes, it would be more like 4x5? Will that be big enough?

This looks "condo-alicious".
cool.png

If you live in town and are limited in the number of birds that you are allowed...get a coop that will support that number of birds. If you are NOT restricted, then go for a bigger coop than you think that you will need.

If you get a smaller coop and enjoy keeping poultry, it is very possible that you will wind up with a bigger coop & run system down the road. That poultry bug is amazing.
cool.png

...the small coop could be sold to a person interested in getting started in small scale poultry or it could be used as a very nice brooder for large numbers of replacement layer or utility chicks...there is always a use.

Looks like a nice coop. However look around these forums and you will see many threads warning against using chicken wire. Apparently chicken wire is very thin and not predator proof. It looks to me that the coops run area is chicken wire. Many places that build coops are small mom and pop businesses. I would spend the money and ask to upgrade to Hardware cloth. Predators seldom kill one bird. If one get into your coop you can easily loose eight or twelve birds.

Chicken wire. Thin wire with large holes.

Hardware cloth, Much thicker wire with much smaller holes

Just my 2 cents

Riki

Back
Top Bottom