Buying Chicks (Minimum requirements)

Rosieposie6

Chirping
Dec 3, 2023
This is a silly question but does anyone know how to get around these number of minimum requirements for buying baby chicks. What I mean is when you got to buy chicks online or at a store they have a minimum requirement where you have to buy 5 or more. Is there anyway to get around this? I understand why they require it because they need warmth and all that but I have 4 hens at home and a female duck already so I don’t want 50 hens haha. I found a hatchery in Michigan that had a 3 minimum requirement for Marans I wanted so I bought em but some of the others I want only one of each and no one seems to allow it. Driving me kind of nuts. I want a female duck companion for my female but our tractor supply requires you buy 3 ducks minimum which I don’t want. We already have to kill our male duck because he was attacking our hens. Just frustrated and wondering if anyone knows how to get around this if possible.

Last edited:
Could you and someone else do a order together?
Our local feed store allows you to take one chick if you have bought another chick from them. One store had a different chick than what the other had and i wanted that breed so they let me take that one knowing i had 4 more at home.

Probably depends on if you have a state law or the store has a specific policy against only selling 1 (or a small number) of birds. I've been able to buy single chicks to replace chicks of the same age that have passed, after explaining to the clerk that that's why I only wanted 1.

Best way to get around it is look at all feed stores within a reasonable drive. Even if you have to drive a bit, it's cheaper than shipping on 3. Many will let you "reserve," the breed(s) you want, no minimum. I found a feed store (not TSC,) with a "breed by week," schedule of all the different breeds they're getting and when. They don't have a minimum, I can get 2 if that's all I want. It's a 30min drive. Ask them what hatchery they get them from and you'll have even more information on them. Also, there is always Craig's list......

This is a silly question but does anyone know how to get around these number of minimum requirements for buying baby chicks. What I mean is when you got to buy chicks online or at a store they have a minimum requirement where you have to buy 5 or more. Is there anyway to get around this? I understand why they require it because they need warmth and all that but I have 4 hens at home and a female duck already so I don’t want 50 hens haha. I found a hatchery in Michigan that had a 3 minimum requirement for Marans I wanted so I bought em but some of the others I want only one of each and no one seems to allow it. Driving me kind of nuts. I want a female duck companion for my female but our tractor supply requires you buy 3 ducks minimum which I don’t want. We already have to kill our male duck because he was attacking our hens. Just frustrated and wondering if anyone knows how to get around this if possible.
Are you trying to get just one total chick, or are you happy with 3+ chicks if they are different breeds?

You might look at Ideal Poultry. Their minimums are in dollars, not number of birds. You can order one of this breed and one of that, for as many breeds as you want.

Cackle Hatchery has a low minimum (3 chicks) but seems to require at least 3 of each kind, which doesn't sound like what you want.

McMurray Hatchery has a higher minimum (6 chicks) but lets you order just one of each breed.

I don't immediately remember the minimum order for other hatcheries, but I think there are a few others that let you get just one chick of each breed (but they still need a certain size total order to ship them safely.)

www.metzerfarms.com sells ducks, with a minimum order of 2 ducklings.

You could also consider splitting an order with someone. Or plan on butchering some chickens. Or selling some, after you raise them up for a bit. If you order several chicks of each breed you want, you can keep the best one and sell or butcher the ones you like less.

Are you trying to get just one total chick, or are you happy with 3+ chicks if they are different breeds?

You might look at Ideal Poultry. Their minimums are in dollars, not number of birds. You can order one of this breed and one of that, for as many breeds as you want.

Cackle Hatchery has a low minimum (3 chicks) but seems to require at least 3 of each kind, which doesn't sound like what you want.

McMurray Hatchery has a higher minimum (6 chicks) but lets you order just one of each breed.

I don't immediately remember the minimum order for other hatcheries, but I think there are a few others that let you get just one chick of each breed (but they still need a certain size total order to ship them safely.)

www.metzerfarms.com sells ducks, with a minimum order of 2 ducklings.

You could also consider splitting an order with someone. Or plan on butchering some chickens. Or selling some, after you raise them up for a bit. If you order several chicks of each breed you want, you can keep the best one and sell or butcher the ones you like less.
I’m trying to get at least 3 more chicks and one more duck. I already got 3 from a local hatchery that are arriving in two weeks. They do have an assortment of colorful egg layers that’s a 3 minimum but then you don’t know what your getting which im not a fan of. Thanks for the recommendations I’ll look into those!!

We did a ‘city town female special’ from cackle that is 3 chicks but you can pick 3 different breeds if you want. I did not order an extra duck but from checking reviews it seems that it may be possible. Their customer service was great for us too.

I’m trying to get at least 3 more chicks and one more duck. I already got 3 from a local hatchery that are arriving in two weeks. They do have an assortment of colorful egg layers that’s a 3 minimum but then you don’t know what your getting which im not a fan of. Thanks for the recommendations I’ll look into those!!
You might consider getting 2 ducklings rather than one. That would give you a total of 3 after they grow up, so if something happens to one you will not have the other one alone.

Mt Healthy Hatchery has a minimum of 3, and you can get singles of breeds. They have a bunch of different colors of Marans if you are still looking for them. They have ducks also, but I think the duck minimum is separate from the chick minimum. We have had great luck with them, friendly & healthy babies.

Back
Top Bottom