BYC Café

Zip-locks work well for the smelly stuff in the car untill you find a legal dumping spot.
Scott
True! I wish my apartment neighbors in TN long ago would have known this..so many times we'd be sitting at the table looking outside and see chicken bones fly past our window - or sometimes a diaper or two. It was always interesting. Once they started with the cat poop I raised a war with them as I was pregnant at the time. They thankfully ended up getting kicked out.

And, if I forgot to mention, my folks live close enough and have agreed to take whatever we need to dump. ;) I'm sure they'll take a few eggs for trade!

Have a good Sat everyone - I'm insanely busy here for a little bit but wanted to pop in and say hello. Work is crazy due to some sort of Medicare deadline, plus all the storms in the East with slip and falls (I'm a medical transcriptionist with accounts mainly in the East).

Good Morning! What a long weekend, good but tiring. We have three days of gorgeous weather and because the sun angle is rising, the snow is melting fast. Yeah! I hope everyone is doing well and getting over their flu cruds.

You mean spring is arriving in the Rockies?
Or wet is arriving in the Rockies?
I have a cousin that lives in Denver and she sent photos of when she and her kids went camping in July. .. in a blizzard.
Nope, not me. Thanks, but I pass on the July blizzard thing.

You mean spring is arriving in the Rockies?
Or wet is arriving in the Rockies?
I have a cousin that lives in Denver and she sent photos of when she and her kids went camping in July. .. in a blizzard.
Nope, not me. Thanks, but I pass on the July blizzard thing.
lau.gif
Unless perhaps say hypothetically, that a person might have moved up to CO from the deserts of the SW in early July and she just might have been pregnant with her second kid which was due in August and the only thing she wanted for her birthday was to be cool, By golly that blizzard in July was awesome! ( In all fairness, my blizzard was at 10,000 ft in a picnic area, we were not camping...)

Good morning all.

Still quite warm here - around the 95F mark. But what I do notice are the shortening days. The chooks are noticing it too. They used to go to bed around 8.30pm but all of a sudden they are in bed by 7.15pm!

Speaking of the chooks, gee they are moulting. They are around 15 to 16 months old now and this is their first moult, and the first time I've ever seen it too. The rooster has lost all the feathers under his hackles, so he looks like he has a mullet! One of the girls is near naked, but is pushing out millions of little new feathers, which day by day she is unsheathing to reveal fluffy clean new growth. At one point she picked one a bit early and it started bleeding, so I separated her out for 2 days until it healed. That was fine, because I took out a perpetually broody hen to stay with her.

We got 2 eggs yesterday from 8 hens, and that was a big egg day for us. Normally we are lucky to get 1 at the moment. I guess the shortening day length has something to do with that - we are down to about 12 hours of sunlight a day now. Then of course everyone went broody, and then the moult came to town! I swear, I have never seen so many feathers floating around. I was trying to rake them up every morning but now I'm just leaving them - there are way too many to collect up! I think out of the 8 full grown hens, at least 5 are in various stages of moult, as well as the rooster.

I'm glad I have three new pullets coming on though - they should be laying before Winter so if we are lucky we will have at least a few eggs to tide us over until the big girls come back into lay.

OK, lovely chatting but I have to get ready to head off to work for the day. Have a great day everyone!

- Krista

Good morning all.

Still quite warm here - around the 95F mark. But what I do notice are the shortening days. The chooks are noticing it too. They used to go to bed around 8.30pm but all of a sudden they are in bed by 7.15pm!

Speaking of the chooks, gee they are moulting. They are around 15 to 16 months old now and this is their first moult, and the first time I've ever seen it too. The rooster has lost all the feathers under his hackles, so he looks like he has a mullet! One of the girls is near naked, but is pushing out millions of little new feathers, which day by day she is unsheathing to reveal fluffy clean new growth. At one point she picked one a bit early and it started bleeding, so I separated her out for 2 days until it healed. That was fine, because I took out a perpetually broody hen to stay with her.

We got 2 eggs yesterday from 8 hens, and that was a big egg day for us. Normally we are lucky to get 1 at the moment. I guess the shortening day length has something to do with that - we are down to about 12 hours of sunlight a day now. Then of course everyone went broody, and then the moult came to town! I swear, I have never seen so many feathers floating around. I was trying to rake them up every morning but now I'm just leaving them - there are way too many to collect up! I think out of the 8 full grown hens, at least 5 are in various stages of moult, as well as the rooster.

I'm glad I have three new pullets coming on though - they should be laying before Winter so if we are lucky we will have at least a few eggs to tide us over until the big girls come back into lay.

OK, lovely chatting but I have to get ready to head off to work for the day. Have a great day everyone!

- Krista
Yep. Moults. Sometimes it looks like a chicken exploded or something.

Back
Top Bottom