BYC Café

It's strange, but my very first cup of coffee is a very clear memory to me. I remember I had been coveting the smell of Mum and Dad's coffee for some time, and one day at breakfast when I was 12, I asked if I could have a cup. There was some serious looks back and forth across the table between Mum and Dad, a casual "Well, I suppose she can. She won't like it anyway..." and hence began the downward spiral into coffee addiction! I loved it immediately, and drank quite a bit of it in my 20's and 30's, but now try to limit myself to 2 cups a day. Tea? I won't go anywhere near the stuff. The smell alone makes me wretch. I have no idea why!

Tea? I won't go anywhere near the stuff. The smell alone makes me wretch. I have no idea why!
Yes, I'm not a big tea drinker either. I like a kind that tastes like sugar cookie but that's it. My dad keeps trying to get me to drink green tea but when I do, it really makes me really sick to my stomach. I've researched it and apparently this is a common reaction - nausea. I know it's linked for me, so I just don't drink it!

Yesterday it was 70 degrees and all our snow melted so we had the kids help us clear our almost 1-acre of backyard of dog doo - 2 dogs from October-now. It was quite a feat so as a reward I went over to Starbucks. We go there maybe once a month at the most (I got my SO to really cut back as he was going constantly and it was getting expensive!). I bought one of those frappacinos for the kids to share, a small one, he got his venti and I got my usual, a short blonde. They always laugh when I order a short because it really looks like a kiddy-sized coffee but that's all I can tolerate from SB anymore. When I lived in CA it was a regular stop but not so much anymore and now I can really taste the burnt-ness of it. We call it 'charbux'. Out here, Caribou Coffee is king. anyway, I gave the kids a taste of mine and even though the blonde is a milder blend they spit out their taste. :)

I never have considered coffee a "grown ups drink" only. I didn't drink it till I was 16. But when I had my second son...his grandma started giving him a teaspoon of coffee at 6 months. Turns out....caffeine is a chemical that slows down a brain wired with ADD. My second child has Aspbergers Syndrome, and he was off the charts for hyperactivity and other issues. He was given Ritalin later on, but it is a stimulant as is caffeine. So many of our other beverages have more caffeine than coffee does anyways.
I would be more concerned with all of the calories a Starbucks coffee has added to it.

Todays chores...since it is beautiful and sunny out....I am hosing down the chicken tractor to get it cleaned up for the new hatch. Whenever the broody decides to go broody. I had 3 cockerels in the bottom level....awaiting their long anticipated trip to freezer camp. Since DH and I have been sick with the flu this past month....as well as dealing with DH's responsibilities as executor to his friends estate......chicken processing has been bumped down on the priority list. Now I have 5 cockerels awaiting their trip. Looks like it might be me....handling the processing all by myself again.
th.gif

Oh gosh, good luck with that Moxie. I can't do the deed myself, and nor can my wussy husband (who I shall refer to as Batgirl, as I AM BATMAN!) We pay our vet to euthanize our chooks when they are sick or old. I could never eat them as I only have a small flock (8 hens, 3 pullets, 1 rooster) and they are all my surrogate children
big_smile.png
My big job for the day is to clean my coop and run. A good once-over will take me about 2 hours. Then I am planning on relaxing for the rest of the day.

- Krista
Krista-well, I had to learn it all from scratch myself. I am a born and bred city gal......buses, taxis, Macy's Department Store...etc...... Raising chickens was NOT n my upbringing.

Anyhoo......DH and I started with chickens back in 2011. He has severe food allergies, and was getting to the point that he cannot eat store eggs anymore. They made him physically ill.
So, we got chickens. Now, him being the country boy...he was supposed to know all about them. Boy did we get an education.
Part of raising the chickens is learning how to process them to eat also. Chickens in the USA for consumption are not something I care to eat anymore. So, we are raising our own.
This round will be our third processing...I think. We alternate between my doing them by myself and his helping. It goes so much better with two of us though. Even though we are still exhausted by the end of a processing day. We are both in our 50's, and have seen better younger days.
We are up to 29 birds now. 5 are the cockerels that need processed. The neighbor lady is giving us one. And we have an older rooster who needs demoted. I need to change around the flock dynamics a bit.

Moxie,

More power to you. I really admire people who can despatch of birds themselves.

Me? I watched a Youtube video of a woman who was showing us how to do it humanely, and despite the fact that she was kind and gentle and peaceful about it I still cried my eyes out
hit.gif

I just don't have the constitution for it, which is a pity as I'm sure there are times when I will need to help one of my flock to the other side.

- Krista

Anyhoo......DH and I started with chickens back in 2011. He has severe food allergies, and was getting to the point that he cannot eat store eggs anymore. They made him physically ill.
So, we got chickens. Now, him being the country boy...he was supposed to know all about them. Boy did we get an education.
Part of raising the chickens is learning how to process them to eat also. Chickens in the USA for consumption are not something I care to eat anymore. So, we are raising our own.
This round will be our third processing...I think. We alternate between my doing them by myself and his helping. It goes so much better with two of us though. Even though we are still exhausted by the end of a processing day. We are both in our 50's, and have seen better younger days.
We are up to 29 birds now. 5 are the cockerels that need processed. The neighbor lady is giving us one. And we have an older rooster who needs demoted. I need to change around the flock dynamics a bit.

So here is my question, Is your husband better eating your own chicken? Does he feel better, have more energy?

I have a relatively clean diet... but I buy my meat.

I want to say that after all of these years I am used to my allergies... but I go no where without the epi pens. I am just fed up having to take shots and meds.

I am not sure I could dispatch my animals, but I could clean them- if someone else did the deed.
I could hire a ...hit man. The rooster reaper.

Back
Top Bottom