BYC Café

Use a weak bleach solution to sterilize the incubator

I take the incubator to the shower and use a brush to get the gunk off. Then spray with the weak bleach solution-- Make a bleach solution using one tablespoon of bleach per one quart of water.

Then let it all air dry

Coffee is on again,

:fl
Have a favor to ask, can someone point me in the right direction for instructions for cleaning styra foam incubator? Been googling and reading all morning

Lost the last one today 100% hatch fail. I am thinking maybe I cleaned the incubator wrong after the last hatch.
I would be more worried about temperature and humidity levels unless you used a toxic substance to clean

I used vinegar and hot water mix to clean after last hatch in April. I was told by family friend bleach would kill the eggs. That vinegar does the same thing. Um I am thinking maybe not. One of the things I read today said to use warm water and sun shine. So I wanted the opinions of the group who' s opinions I respect

Thank you
Weak bleach solution is not very toxic. It also has a short TTL(Time to live). It would not kill the eggs because it stops killing things quickly. The type of anti bacterial in lysol works longer and is not as safe for eggs.

Sun is good but it can deteriorate the incubator

Weak bleach solution is not very toxic. It also has a short TTL(Time to live). It would not kill the eggs because it stops killing things quickly. The type of anti bacterial in lysol works longer and is not as safe for eggs.

Sun is good but it can deteriorate the incubator
Great way of saying that! I understand it!
Good reminder about the sun too. In Texas it eats everything!

Like @ronott1 said, I use a weak bleach solution in a spray bottle to clean my foam bators. Haven't had any problems with it killing embryos or deteriorating the bators. I also use it for my cabinet bators.
I rinse them with fresh water after a 10min soak time, then air dry. By the time it dry's, it has no bleach odour.

Back
Top Bottom