BYC Café

Hello cafe, fresh pot of coffee is ready if you need it.

I'm supposed to be working but I really don't wanna so I'm dragging my feet through every call. My boss is going to have something to say but I don't care about that either.

I wasn't going to share here but you guys will eventually find out...I really don't want to be downer so it's just so it isn't a surprise if it comes up at some point...I'm pretty sure there's Marek's here and I had to put my older birds down last weekend, all 6 of them so I'm left with only the chicks now. I've discovered there's a ton of info available about the disease itself but not a lot about long term care and maintenance when living with it on the premises. I'm going to write an article about that as a way of helping get over it and to learn more so I give my chicks the best possible chance of surviving.

Sure is. Will be nice if we get some warmer weather and I can get something done in the garden. Been cold and rainy here, have heard of snow but can only see it in the mountains. Glad it's not on my doorstep!

Mom's leaving today! Going to stay in Kennewick or somewheres around there and be here tomorrow. Got her bed all set up and just have to gather the rest of our crap (how we amass so much I have no idea :idunno) and find somewhere to stuff it. Good thing we're only moving rooms and not houses :D

Congrats on the new puppy, @CapricornFarm ! How very exciting for you. Gotta love pups.

@DobieLover that's so awesome that you rescue older dogs. I've always been afraid of the interactions with my own dogs to even try. Although, we adopted a yellow lab (Cracker...we didn't name him...) when he was 8 from a family that didn't want him anymore. What a great boy he was. Him and our youngest son were just meant to be together. We lost him last January to a twisted gut.

Can't wait to read your article @Shadrach !

Glad the boys won @sourland ! That's quite the comeback!

Sorry about Cracker. :hugs

FB_IMG_1558545803908.jpg

The fawn one is Abby, adopted at 22 months old.
The red one is Bridget, adopted at (guessing) 12 months old.
That's Ben next to his "sisters", adopted at 18 months.
The shrunken black one is my first foster. She was 4 years old and was adopted about 3 months after this picture was taken.
I took the picture within 2 weeks of adopting Ben. I've never had issues bringing adults into the household.

Ben loved Bridget from day one. She didn't return his sentiments. It took her months to warm up to him. Can't imagine why!
FB_IMG_1558545811536.jpg

She was 65 pounds. He was 89 pounds.:hmm

Last edited:

I'm supposed to be working but I really don't wanna so I'm dragging my feet through every call. My boss is going to have something to say but I don't care about that either.

I wasn't going to share here but you guys will eventually find out...I really don't want to be downer so it's just so it isn't a surprise if it comes up at some point...I'm pretty sure there's Marek's here and I had to put my older birds down last weekend, all 6 of them so I'm left with only the chicks now. I've discovered there's a ton of info available about the disease itself but not a lot about long term care and maintenance when living with it on the premises. I'm going to write an article about that as a way of helping get over it and to learn more so I give my chicks the best possible chance of surviving.
OMG, IM! I'm so sorry. I will be very interested in reading your article.
Just for my own information, had your birds been vaccinated?

It gets better with Mareks!

I had a Hen die of Mareks and the Necropsy report was very Dire. All chickens at my place needed to be vaccinated and etc.

I ignored it and have not had any more signs of mareks since.

It seems like it's harder when it isn't your own stuff! I've got a pile like that in my barn haha. I have tunnel vision when I walk by it, like it's not even there :)
The hard part for me is that every time I clean up the Garage, someone stuffs it with junk and then I have to clean it up again

Oh my goodness, I'm so sorry @igorsMistress . I've read a lot of what rebrascora has had to say on the matter, and it gave me hope if it ever came around my place. Maybe she can help you out.

Aw man! I'm so sorry you are going through this. Just remember that you are not going through it alone. We are here for you, and you are loved. :hugs

OMG, IM! I'm so sorry. I will be very interested in reading your article.
Just for my own information, had your birds been vaccinated?

Thank you. My roo hadn't been and he was the youngest to succumb at less than a year. I don't know about the girls. I got them at a feed store a couple of years ago.

The 12 chicks out there now have not been and I don't do the vaccinate or medicated feed bit with my flock.

Oh my goodness, I'm so sorry @igorsMistress . I've read a lot of what rebrascora has had to say on the matter, and it gave me hope if it ever came around my place. Maybe she can help you out.

I was thinking of sending her a PM to see if she has any suggestions for long term care. Thanks Meg.

So sorry for your loss! :hit Labs are great dogs. Love them. Goldens too. But I love Labs. We’ve always had Labs or Lab mixes. Great dogs. But I just love all retrievers lol

But yes, it is definitely harder to introduce adults to an existing pack. :(

That’s why we could never get a second one when we had Gator. Well that and it’s just that much more money and stuff that we didn’t wanna spend and we also didn’t think he’d be happy. I don’t think he would have been aggressive (though he was sometimes a little possessive of his food bowl with the cat so who knows) but we just always thought he would have been jealous cause he was sooo loving and almost needy and loved having us to himself haha I don’t think he would have liked sharing the attention. :lau but after seeing how much Frank and Libby love each other, I don’t think I would just have one dog again but idk. They play so much and wear each other out and really love each other. But they are both young and kinda pups still. I think they have to be the right match too. A friend has two dogs and even though they get along and do play together and hike and stuff and sometimes cuddle, one is very active and dominant and the other is very docile and lets the other kind of bully/dominate her which I don’t think is so fair. And the other is always go go go and the older just wants to chill. So I think they need to be the right match. Frank and Libby are similar energy levels. Frank is slightly more energetic and ADD but he’s also younger. But I don’t think a super crazy and energetic young dog is the right match for a older mellow one even if it can work sometimes. It’s hard getting it right though. Pup is definitely easier ha
Isn't that funny? Cracker was the same way. He was a people dog, not a dog dog haha. They all coexisted fine (for the most part), but he much preferred the company of his 2 legged companions.

Frank and Libby sound like lovely happy dogs :) They are definitely high energy when they are young!

Back
Top Bottom