BYC Café

@Building Bridges that story was hilarious and the puppies are adorable!! :lau :love

Do the loud ones like that typically make good guides? I know a bit of crying probably isn’t really indicative but just seems like they have maybe a bit more of a hyper or anxious personality?

But I bet with an experienced raiser like she ended up with, she will be fine. :)

The boy sounds sweet!

They sure are cute. :love

And I noticed the title on the photos... one of my cousin’s sons names is Everett. :D

Do you get updates on how the puppies do or not really? Do they post it on the website eventually? I’d like to know if these two end up making it. :D

@Building Bridges that story was hilarious and the puppies are adorable!! :lau :love

Do the loud ones like that typically make good guides? I know a bit of crying probably isn’t really indicative but just seems like they have maybe a bit more of a hyper or anxious personality?

But I bet with an experienced raiser like she ended up with, she will be fine. :)

The boy sounds sweet!

They sure are cute. :love

And I noticed the title on the photos... one of my cousin’s sons names is Everett. :D

Do you get updates on how the puppies do or not really? Do they post it on the website eventually? I’d like to know if these two end up making it. :D
Kelsey, it's a process with many checks and balances along the way. The pups are evaluated informally from birth to 8 weeks. At 8 weeks they are formally evaluated and matched with a person who has applied to be a raiser (and who has completed the puppy-raising classes). The raiser works with the pup and takes it to class each week where the ongoing evaluation continues. On rare occasion, pups can be "released" for various reasons....for example, chronic ear infections or some other health concern. They don't want the visually-impaired handler to have to deal with issues. After 18 months with the raisers....I take them back to NY to guide dog school where they undergo training specific to being a guide. When they are ready, they are matched with a visually impaired handler who comes and stays at the school and the team is coached until they are ready to manage on their own. Raisers are invited to attend graduation. And raisers are kept informed as to their pup's progress (I think they get an annual report). When the dog is ready to retire, the raiser has the opportunity to adopt.
As a transporter, I am not kept in the loop.....it's too many for me to keep track of. If there's a specific one I'm interested in I can check on them. Some pups are pulled and sent to the breeding kennel. It's a fabulous organization. My first transport was Dec. 2010.....and I feel privileged to contribute in that small way to the work they do.

Here's third pup from this run...sweet, quiet boy but I wasn't able to get a good pic. It's like trying to take a photo of a fish while you are reeling them in!.....they seldom get far enough away from you to get a shot. I do try to take pics of pups and the 18 mo old pups and I send them to the raisers.

Attachments

• IMG_4819.JPG
    IMG_4819.JPG
    918.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_4821.JPG
    IMG_4821.JPG
    583.5 KB · Views: 4
IMG_20200207_134455620.jpg

Bella is trying her hand at being a lap dog.
She did this immediately after Mogwai hooked into her face catching her gums just because Bella was licking her head.
I called her over to pet her and she crawled half way onto the couch. Then Fuji bit her in the face.
Poor Bella! She never ever shows the slightest amount of aggression from any of this.

Back
Top Bottom