BYC Café

There is a not-for-profit animal hospital about 20 miles from me
We used to have a vet who was not the least expensive, but I thought he was VERY good. He also did a lot work in other countries, like a "vets without borders" kind of thing.

I remember him telling me about one village in an African country he visited. He was teaching the people basic care for their cows, like how to handle a breech birth or a calf that wouldn't nurse. He went back the next year, and they were thrilled to tell him that their live birth rate had gone up 30%. This was a direct positive impact on their life, as their animals were their goods and wealth.

He also started a reduced cost/free, mobile spay-neuter clinic that went around the area in a huge converted motor home. I saw him at the gas station, filling that beast, and the cost at the pump made me gag.

He gave a lot back.

Good morning Cafe. Coffee is ready.

I'm now only having the partial toe amputation done on Skittles. I got the estimate back to do that and the dental at the same time. The range was $1,719-$2,291 with both. I asked for another without the dental and it was $842-$1,311. He goes in Monday morning.
I do tooth cleaning on both my dogs. They hate it, so i often do it in 2 sessions. Not paying the vet a fortune.

VERY lucky.
There is a not-for-profit animal hospital about 20 miles from me. I think I'm going to take Piper there for her initial puppy exam when I pick her up and see what I think. I've heard that they're much more reasonable in price.
I don't know how the vast majority of people can afford to own a dog these days with the prices the way they are.
Yes, all pet feed is crazy expensive these days.

I do tooth cleaning on both my dogs. They hate it, so i often do it in 2 sessions. Not paying the vet a fortune.
I scale, polish and brush all my dogs teeth too. But Skittles has the filthiest mouth of any dog I've ever worked on. His incisors are caked with tartar, especially on the back sides. Many are loose and I just don't mess with them.
None of my Dobermans have ever had vet dentals. But their yaw holes are so big I can get my feet in there so it's easy to see and reach everything.

I scale, polish and brush all my dogs teeth too. But Skittles has the filthiest mouth of any dog I've ever worked on. His incisors are caked with tartar, especially on the back sides. Many are loose and I just don't mess with them.
None of my Dobermans have ever had vet dentals. But their yaw holes are so big I can get my feet in there so it's easy to see and reach everything.
Well my Shepherd has a big mouth, but the Papillon, not so much.

Back
Top Bottom