BYC Café

Good Afternoon, Cafe’!
It’s been bright and sunny here all day, but not particularly warm. At least not compared to some of the days we’ve had. Low 40’s, so I really shouldn’t complain. Thinking back to the FEET of snow we had on the ground this time last year, things are good! I spent a little time pulling weeds in my greenhouse today. Am thinking about making a little hugelculture plot in my big garden this year, along with some other raised beds. It’s getting harder and harder to get up off the ground when we’re weeding. Getting down is the easy part - I keep telling DH, “Just tuck and roll!”

On the way in, I stopped to admire this big beautiful majestic old cottonwood tree at the end of the yard. A picture doesn’t do it justice. There is no way to capture the size of it. Sometimes in the spring or fall during migration, we’ll have a Bald Eagle or two perched in the branches. They have never bothered the chickens.

IMG_4957.jpeg

Good Afternoon, Cafe’!
It’s been bright and sunny here all day, but not particularly warm. At least not compared to some of the days we’ve had. Low 40’s, so I really shouldn’t complain. Thinking back to the FEET of snow we had on the ground this time last year, things are good! I spent a little time pulling weeds in my greenhouse today. Am thinking about making a little hugelculture plot in my big garden this year, along with some other raised beds. It’s getting harder and harder to get up off the ground when we’re weeding. Getting down is the easy part - I keep telling DH, “Just tuck and roll!”

On the way in, I stopped to admire this big beautiful majestic old cottonwood tree at the end of the yard. A picture doesn’t do it justice. There is no way to capture the size of it. Sometimes in the spring or fall during migration, we’ll have a Bald Eagle or two perched in the branches. They have never bothered the chickens.

View attachment 3768146
We had a cottonwood in our yard in NY when I was young. Had a swing hanging from it.

Nice hot coffee is ready.

A colder, snowy/rainy day is forecast. Wind kicks up at 5 and the advisory stays in effect until tomorrow evening.

I found Cayuga in a nest box last night. SMH. I tossed her back into the ward for the night. She was not at all happy about this when I went out to feed this am. Pacing the wall, running out into the ward run to watch the birds in the main run eat. So when I finished cleaning and was doling out raisins I lured Alecia close enough to grab her then stuffed her through the ward door and closed it.

Cayuga was very happy for the company and Alecia was very confused as to how and why she found herself in there but they both went straight to the food bowl and started eating. It won't hurt Alecia to have the ACS either. I've had a few crop issues with her too. Both of these ladies turn 5 on 4/19.

Back
Top Bottom