BYC Debate Thread- What's The Friendliest Chicken Breed?

Pics
View attachment 3068161

This official BYC poll shows that over 75% of voters keep chickens mainly for pets. However, it's hard to keep chickens as pets if they run away from you when they see you, or they attack you. Many chicken owners dream for (or have) their perfect lap chicken. Individual chickens vary based on their personality, how they were raised, etc, but some chicken breeds are better pets than others. Now I want to hear from you: what is the friendliest chicken breed to humans?

:celebrate Welcome to the debate! :celebrate
First the rules, please do read them!!!

Rules:

• This thread is open to all BYC members.
  • You can only debate for up to 3 different chicken breeds, no more than that!
  • No arguing, or being rude. We all have different opinions. This is a debate, not an argument!
  • Please back-up your answer, one word is not convincing- if you don't know what to write please use the guide that is featured later on in the post.​
  • Using articles and other threads to back you up is welcome.​
  • Must be a chicken breed, maybe soon I'll make a thread for other poultry!​
  • You may use relevant pictures.​
  • All BYC rules apply: Terms of Service (Rules)

If you are unsure what to write, use these to start you off....

• What is the friendliest chicken breed(s)?
  • Why do you think this?
  • What evidence can back you up? Threads? Articles?
  • What is your experience with this breed(s)?
  • What breeds are not very friendly? Why?
  • Anything else

I will update the second post with all the breeds that have been mentioned and links to all the posts mentioning them.

Let's get debating!
We have these small white hens - white leghorns. They are a joy.

Also delightful are our isa browns (although they are red, not brown).

Our black giants and white brahmas are sweet, but markedly less friendly. The Others follow us all over and come running when they see us.

Ok I have the wierest chicken for you. My roo hazelnut is like a grumpy two year old. He loves me so much that he crows in my arms and tries to breed with my hand or foot. He does love his cuddles and hugs only form me though. Any one else he will spur. Maybe it has to do with me carring him around for his whole life. He came out side with me and three other roos as chicks (sadly they all died but hazey) when they were three days old. I think that has something to do with that.
So I don't know what breed he is. But in my experience I would say a black sexlink. My hen Cassyopeia she is a jerk. She peaks dogs, she made hazelnut go half blind, she peaks Joey's comb scabs off, and not to mention she makes everyone bleed. Then you have her baby, hope. Hope is a very problematic cross. If you every hope to touch her then you have a death with for your arm. She will scratch it off. And Cassy's son Joey is a sweetie but not like hazelnut.

View attachment 3068161

This official BYC poll shows that over 75% of voters keep chickens mainly for pets. However, it's hard to keep chickens as pets if they run away from you when they see you, or they attack you. Many chicken owners dream for (or have) their perfect lap chicken. Individual chickens vary based on their personality, how they were raised, etc, but some chicken breeds are better pets than others. Now I want to hear from you: what is the friendliest chicken breed to humans?

:celebrate Welcome to the debate! :celebrate
First the rules, please do read them!!!

Rules:

• This thread is open to all BYC members.
  • You can only debate for up to 3 different chicken breeds, no more than that!
  • No arguing, or being rude. We all have different opinions. This is a debate, not an argument!
  • Please back-up your answer, one word is not convincing- if you don't know what to write please use the guide that is featured later on in the post.​
  • Using articles and other threads to back you up is welcome.​
  • Must be a chicken breed, maybe soon I'll make a thread for other poultry!​
  • You may use relevant pictures.​
  • All BYC rules apply: Terms of Service (Rules)

If you are unsure what to write, use these to start you off....

• What is the friendliest chicken breed(s)?
  • Why do you think this?
  • What evidence can back you up? Threads? Articles?
  • What is your experience with this breed(s)?
  • What breeds are not very friendly? Why?
  • Anything else

I will update the second post with all the breeds that have been mentioned and links to all the posts mentioning them.

Let's get debating!
The red sex link hen I have is a very docile girl.. So docile she was ready to let my dogs rip the feathers outta her! Glad I could catch them. My dark cornish and Rhode island red are also pretty tame girls. Admittedly though, as my username may suggest, I'm not as into the chickens, so I don't keep as many breeds of them.

Can anyone tell me what kind of chicken breed is the one that is black (every feather is basically black except for the breast), has orange and yellow specks on the breast, red combs, and is pretty friendly? (Sorry just in case that is a bad description) I "babysat" a few chicks of that kind that were extremely naughty. Whenever I turned my head a walked a few steps away they would escape from their brooder immediately :gig.Whenever I returned, they would utter some innocent chirps and stare at me with virtuous eyes. The buff orpingtons were good, however.
I’m not sure from your description. Possibly a black sex link.

greatly depends.
I have 5 silkies atm who I handraised from day-olds. None of them are cuddly. But I had a silkie hen in 2021 who was the sweetest girl. And all my friends' silkies are so friendly. I think silkies are usually very docile, calm, and loving. Little bantam breeds like d'uccles are very curious, and friendly, but also have a tendency to be shy and nervous. Big fluffy breeds like Orpingtons and Cochins are very outgoing and sweet. Breeds like leghorns are very flighty.

In my experience, Golden Comets are pet material, and incredible layers (although they are prone to reproductive issues, according to the vet).
View attachment 3632669
Golden Comets are great chickens. They are production hens.. I had a Red sex link, hen a while ago. Not sure if it was a Comet, or other similar looking hen. I didn't get her new... She was a rescue about one year old.
Only downside with them,,,,, :( ,,, The only pull about 4 to 5 years.
Layed eggs until her end.
All my chickens are my pets that live long lives. My recent to exit was 11 years+

Back
Top Bottom