BYC Guinea hen club

Pics
So very sorry, it's always heartbreaking no matter how many you have. Glad you were able to save the eggs. How the heck did the game warden find out about your traps anyway? Is there a big two legged rat in your hood? I am with everyone else, do what you must, but know those fines can be very steep, and you don't want to risk having your family heirlooms confiscated either. Little bas@#$s, sounds like a weasel if it is eating from the bottom up, are you not allowed to trap them there? But you obviously are very well informed, so you know better than I. Would think a cat would carry the bird off, like a fox would. But a weasel goes for the juiciest parts, so would consider that. Every time I lose a bird, I mourn, we put so much work into them only to have them taken from us. Hope your eggs hatch out, have had great success 'bating guinea eggs. Very hardy. At least you discovered it all before the eggs went bad, so one consolation. Do also hope you get your predators, but know in the hills and wilds of California, like here in rural Maine, there are many, and it's always a detective story to figure out who is doing what. Good luck to you, and so sorry for your loss...

So very sorry, it's always heartbreaking no matter how many you have. Glad you were able to save the eggs. How the heck did the game warden find out about your traps anyway? Is there a big two legged rat in your hood? I am with everyone else, do what you must, but know those fines can be very steep, and you don't want to risk having your family heirlooms confiscated either. Little bas@#$s, sounds like a weasel if it is eating from the bottom up, are you not allowed to trap them there? But you obviously are very well informed, so you know better than I. Would think a cat would carry the bird off, like a fox would. But a weasel goes for the juiciest parts, so would consider that. Every time I lose a bird, I mourn, we put so much work into them only to have them taken from us. Hope your eggs hatch out, have had great success 'bating guinea eggs. Very hardy. At least you discovered it all before the eggs went bad, so one consolation. Do also hope you get your predators, but know in the hills and wilds of California, like here in rural Maine, there are many, and it's always a detective story to figure out who is doing what. Good luck to you, and so sorry for your loss...

No leg trap were out lawed I guess a little more then ten years ago but box traps are encouraged but the wild animals are to be turned over for a proper release funny laws but a domestic animal can be put down in a humane way ya funny but shooting seems to be legal and encouraged to some point as it is less of a hassle and yes as I live fairly close to Town people who let their dogs run free well I was catching their dogs left and right and they yeap and make a lot of noise in them traps so it was a give a way and some young boys and yes over 18 came in the yard with their dogs and they did not know how to release the leg traps off the dogs and the hole thing turned into a fiasco and the Man at the State level from Sacramento got involved and that is like a 6 to 8 hour drive one way so I found it easer to put the leg traps on the wall for now ....... And the snares were not taken lightly but wow do they work so much better then anything else .....

Oh I did get one of the cat's Saturday morning and it only took three hours for the Sheriffs Deputy to show up and it was a little after 4 AM so I just gave him the bag with the remains and after using a 3&1/2 inch 12 gauge, #4 shoot and only 20 feet that was all that was left ......... And for some reason they keep telling me that a 2&3/4 inch will work just fine but I am hesitant to believe it .....

Thank you for your concern and time to wright ......

When we got back from vacation these are the eggs we found. I had my guineas penned up so my daughter could take care of them. I found a nest with about 30 eggs in the bird house. Not thinking they would hatch I went ahead and out them in the incubator. Guess what it is the best hatch I've ever had! 13 so far and they are still coming. I had 1 die because his umbilical cord was on the outside along with part of the yoke!

When we got back from vacation these are the eggs we found. I had my guineas penned up so my daughter could take care of them. I found a nest with about 30 eggs in the bird house. Not thinking they would hatch I went ahead and out them in the incubator. Guess what it is the best hatch I've ever had! 13 so far and they are still coming. I had 1 die because his umbilical cord was on the outside along with part of the yoke!

7 more have pipped and one is chirping but has not pipped yet!

Oh what a nice hatch
wee.gif

I have a dozen in the incubator right now and two more weeks to go
pop.gif

Back
Top Bottom