BYC Member Interview - Abriana **UPDATE 03-29-24 page 3**

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Premium Feather Member
8 Years
Jun 28, 2011
Abriana has been a member of our community since April, 2017. One of our BYC friends and all rounders, she is known for her friendless and good advice.

1. Tell us a bit more about yourself.

My name is Abriana, I have three crazy sisters, and 20 chickens. I like reading, writing, drawing, and driving our go-kart.

2. Why and when did you start keeping chickens?

I began chicken keeping on March 26, 2016. My sisters and I each got two chicks and the flock just kept expanding - I love chicken math. There wasn’t any specific reason that I began keeping chickens, but now it’s because I love poultry and all the adventures that come with it.

3. Which aspect(s) of chicken keeping do you enjoy the most?

My favorite thing about chicken keeping has got to be hatching out chicks. It’s such a fun experience and I love seeing how different each chick becomes as they grow up. No two chicks that I’ve hatched have been the same, sometimes I’ll breed my white rooster with a black hen and the result is amazing and beautiful.

4. Which members of your flock, past and present, stand out for you and why?

I’d have to say that my rooster Napoleon really stands out. He’s so selfless and never takes treats for himself, he’s always paying attention and warning the ladies of danger - be it a hawk or butterfly. Also my hen Sophia. She loves to snuggle and inserts herself under my arm and naps.

5. What was the funniest (chicken related) thing(s) that happened to you in your years as chicken owner?

That’s a tough one! But I do have one that I laugh about every time I remember it. My EE hen Kindle decided that it was time to show her biological (she was hatched and raised by my bantam) mother who was boss, so she ran by Lucy (who was head down scratching at something) and pecked her, then ran off. Lucy immediately straightened up and began making angry noises and searching for the offender. You could almost hear her saying “where are you? Who did that??” It was absolutely hilarious!

6. Beside chickens, what other pets do you keep?

I have a collie named Beau. He is a fabulous chicken protector and loves to chase deer.

87B083F4-D21A-435A-A9D0-BA4D0230A182.jpg

7. Anything you'd like to add?

Yes! Right now I have three baby chicks. Jaelyn is the only girl and she was my first assisted hatch. I’m very proud of her, she is my little survivor. Here is bantam (yes that’s her name) and her three babies.

123CF5E4-6922-4E76-96C2-8C5333BD7E21.jpg

(I love this pic of them all getting ready to jump)

https://www.backyardchickens.com/members/abriana.474901/

See here for more about the interview feature and a complete list of member interviews:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/905602/introducing-vip-member-interviews/0_30

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom