BYC Member Interview - Amiga

N F C

BYC Staff
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Dec 12, 2013
KY
@Amiga

Come say hello to Amiga! She's been a member since January 2010 and comes to us from Southern New England.

1. Tell us a bit more about yourself. And is there a story behind your member name?

I spent quite a number of years as an active member of the Religious Society of Friends - Quakers. So it seemed natural to identify myself as Amiga - Friend. I also aspire to be a friend, to people, critters, the land.

2. Why and when did you start keeping poultry?
As a gardener, I had a slug problem. Then I read Bill Mollison’s quote, “You don’t have a slug problem, you have a duck deficiency.” I needed help with slugs, weeds, soil nutrients, and by golly, I have always been enamored of ducks.

3. Which aspects of poultry keeping do you enjoy the most?
The lessons the ducks have taught me since the day we met. I didn’t know how sophisticated their communications and social structures are. I didn’t know they will pantomime to communicate what they want. I didn’t know how many types of vocalizations they make, the ways in which they watch out for each other. They have taught me to shake off the negative stuff, look for the good, enjoy every meal, splash in water frequently, laugh out loud daily, appreciate my feelings and my body, and laissez les bon temps roulez.

4. Which members of your flock, past and present, stand out for you and why?
Well, each has been a treasure ♥️

Einz and I lived through her traumatic entanglement in a thick metal S-hook (how on EARTH did she hook herself like a fish on that thing!?!?!?!). I was alone, suddenly she jerked and started flailing, stuck to the fence on that hook. Somehow she and I freed her lower mandible. I kept her in sick bay for a few days, watching closely, using a little topical antibiotic, praying every moment, and she healed up just fine. She also busted a vocal chord yelling at some new ducks. Her voice used to be a nice low alto. Now it’s still a squeaky soprano.

Elf, my avatar, was the kindest, sweetest, most fascinating duck ever. Gorgeous doe-like eyes, quiet most of the time, often in her own little world. Gentle soul. Then one evening I caught her sumo wrestling with Romy, one of the new ducks, who outweighed her by at least a pound. From then on I realized that as much sweetness as there was under those feathers, she was all duck, capable of scrapping with the best of them.

Rowena was rescued when her first keeper decided to “free” her into a pond. At that time due to malnutrition, Rowena could not float. There was a successful intervention and a little while after coming to live with us and being fed good food and allowed to bathe in shallow water daily, her feather condition improved and she was a great little swimmer. But much more than her health improvement, there was a fire behind those onyx eyes. She knew something, I tell ya. I want to grow up to be more like that brave, brilliant, energetic duck who would not take ”no” for an answer. What a bird!

I could tell you stories about each of the 20 or so birds I have been blessed to care for. The deep connection I have had with some, the complex behaviors that baffle me. I have read that the ancient Celts revered ducks - lacha - for their ability to be at home in the air, on land, and on water. Maybe my Celtic ancestors are one reason I truly do revere these animals.

Here are a few flock pictures. The age range is about 5 to nearly 13 years old.
1665754341269.png

1665754399814.png

1665754471945.png

5. What was the funniest poultry related thing that has happened to you in your years as an owner?
That would probably be watching Elf run back and forth between the food bowl and the water bowl, carrying food in her mouth, swishing it into the water, steadily, for at least half an hour...

6. Beside poultry, what other pets do you keep?
Cats

7. Anything you'd like to add?
I have learned much directly from the flock, and from some excellent veterinarians and fellow duck parents here and in the brick and mortar world. I cherish the connections I have with people from the BYC Duck Forum. Though I don’t visit here nearly as often as I used to, I still recommend the site to new duck keepers and check in from time to time. Thanks for asking about us (the flock and me). I started with ducks purchased from Meyer Hatchery almost thirteen years ago. Six of the original eleven are still happy and healthy. Since then, I adopt rescued ducks. It’s still a wonderful ride. I still learn, daily. I still love to gaze into those precious eyes, hear the many ways they chatter, coo, quack, chide, and holler.

Thanks, BYC Duck Forum friends (you know who you are♥️🦆)

@Amiga

For more information about the interview feature and a complete list of member interviews:

introducing-vip-member-interviews.905602

Back
Top Bottom