BYC Member Interview - NorthwoodsChick

N F C

BYC Staff
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Dec 12, 2013
KY
@NorthwoodsChick

Come say hello to @NorthwoodsChick who has been a member since May 2021 and comes to us from Upper Michigan.

1. Tell us a bit more about yourself. And is there a story behind your member name?
My real name is Melanie but most people call me Mel. I’m originally from the Detroit area but left city life behind 30 years ago to live in rural Northern MI. I am married and have two adult children, 21 & 24. My husband and I built our empty nest home three yrs ago, even though one kid is technically still home while in college. We started a Christmas tree farm last year and grow balsams and fir. Next year we will branch out into fruit trees.
I’m an avid hunter and love fishing. I am a jeep-girl who loves muddin’ and knows far too well how to winch or dig out of the trenches. In winter I enjoy snowshoeing, skiing and am on a curling team.
My user name choice doesn’t come with a thrilling story; I simply live in the north woods and I like baby chicks (or you can say I’m a chick, too :confused: )

Me and my recovery bag to help a friend
Screen Shot 2023-11-17 at 8.15.47 AM.png

After 3 days eluding me, I finally found Waldo the elk.
Screen Shot 2023-11-17 at 8.17.37 AM.png

2. Why and when did you start keeping poultry?
I started with a small flock of dual purpose chickens about 1 1/2 yrs ago with the idea of raising them for food and eggs. I researched and planned (mainly on BYC 😊 ) for a year before I got chicks. Well, they quickly became pets and I couldn’t bare to eat them, so I raise broilers for meat and kept my sweet chickies all to myself.

The entire flock waits on the porch for me to get home from work.
Screen Shot 2023-11-17 at 8.20.24 AM.png

3. Which aspects of poultry keeping do you enjoy the most?
I enjoy observing my flock’s interactions with each other and learning each bird’s fascinating personality. Their pecking order is dynamic and ever changing based on seasons, it seems. Sometimes 1.5 yr old Big Momma is top hen, sometimes it’s Stormy my 6 month old blue copper Marans.

4. Which members of your flock, past and present, stand out for you and why?
My EE, Karen-the-Karen is such a character. She got her name for being so bossy early on (I know that’s not pc-sorry). When she was at POL she would squawk at other hens faces while they were in the nest box until they got tired of it and left..then Karen would sqawk until they came back. I’d say that she is one of my favorite hens. Wherever she is, when I call out her name she comes sprinting and clucking until she’s at my feet. She is very nimble and can jump straight up about 3-4 ft for treats—Superchick!
Screen Shot 2023-11-17 at 8.22.28 AM.png

5. What was the funniest poultry related thing that has happened to you in your years as an owner?
This past summer I was integrating some new pullets. On one stormy day I was sitting in the run watching the chickens do chicken things and a wind gust blew the man door shut hard enough to engage the latch— I was locked in and no way to unlock the door from the inside, and I left my phone in the house. I couldn’t fit through the pop door (yes, I tried and nearly got stuck) After several long hours hubs got home from work and released me into the wild again. There’s an inside latch now.

Spatch (roo), Daphne and my sweet Livvy (RIP)- Bielefelders
Screen Shot 2023-11-17 at 8.24.04 AM.png

6. Beside poultry, what other pets do you keep?
I have two 6 yr old bully/lab/?? named Max and Maddie. They look nothing alike but are litter-mates. Max is a high strung dog that thinks moose are fun to chase; obviously not a good thing to do. Maddie is my shadow and likes to take leisurely walks in the woods.

Maddie (left) & Max
Screen Shot 2023-11-17 at 8.25.36 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-11-17 at 8.26.26 AM.png

7. Anything you'd like to add?
I want to add how much appreciation I have for BYC and its members. Everyone here is so helpful and supportive; I know I can always turn to members here when I have questions—Thank you so much for that ❤️
Screen Shot 2023-11-17 at 8.27.44 AM.png

@NorthwoodsChick

For more information about the interview feature and a complete list of member interviews:

introducing-vip-member-interviews

Hello @NorthwoodsChick :frow wonderful interview, very nice to get to know you better!

I too have gotten locked in the coop, :D I thought about cutting through the hardware cloth in the coop windows or the run to escape. Hubby was inside the house and I too had no phone, so all I could do is wait till he came looking for me. :lol:

Love your photos, ❤ Mattie and Max are adorable! Thanks for sharing yourself with us!

Nice to meet you Mel. I had thought you were from Wisconsin because of your username. I wasn't aware Michigan also call the the north the northwoods. You didn't say UP, so I'm assuming your in the north of the mitten. Michigan has enough elk to hunt? I wasn't aware of that. Love your pups, and all your beautiful birds. :)

@NorthwoodsChick

Come say hello to @NorthwoodsChick who has been a member since May 2021 and comes to us from Upper Michigan.

1. Tell us a bit more about yourself. And is there a story behind your member name?
My real name is Melanie but most people call me Mel. I’m originally from the Detroit area but left city life behind 30 years ago to live in rural Northern MI. I am married and have two adult children, 21 & 24. My husband and I built our empty nest home three yrs ago, even though one kid is technically still home while in college. We started a Christmas tree farm last year and grow balsams and fir. Next year we will branch out into fruit trees.
I’m an avid hunter and love fishing. I am a jeep-girl who loves muddin’ and knows far too well how to winch or dig out of the trenches. In winter I enjoy snowshoeing, skiing and am on a curling team.
My user name choice doesn’t come with a thrilling story; I simply live in the north woods and I like baby chicks (or you can say I’m a chick, too :confused: )

View attachment 3685576

View attachment 3685578

I started with a small flock of dual purpose chickens about 1 1/2 yrs ago with the idea of raising them for food and eggs. I researched and planned (mainly on BYC 😊 ) for a year before I got chicks. Well, they quickly became pets and I couldn’t bare to eat them, so I raise broilers for meat and kept my sweet chickies all to myself.

View attachment 3685581

I enjoy observing my flock’s interactions with each other and learning each bird’s fascinating personality. Their pecking order is dynamic and ever changing based on seasons, it seems. Sometimes 1.5 yr old Big Momma is top hen, sometimes it’s Stormy my 6 month old blue copper Marans.

My EE, Karen-the-Karen is such a character. She got her name for being so bossy early on (I know that’s not pc-sorry). When she was at POL she would squawk at other hens faces while they were in the nest box until they got tired of it and left..then Karen would sqawk until they came back. I’d say that she is one of my favorite hens. Wherever she is, when I call out her name she comes sprinting and clucking until she’s at my feet. She is very nimble and can jump straight up about 3-4 ft for treats—Superchick!
View attachment 3685582

5. What was the funniest poultry related thing that has happened to you in your years as an owner?
This past summer I was integrating some new pullets. On one stormy day I was sitting in the run watching the chickens do chicken things and a wind gust blew the man door shut hard enough to engage the latch— I was locked in and no way to unlock the door from the inside, and I left my phone in the house. I couldn’t fit through the pop door (yes, I tried and nearly got stuck) After several long hours hubs got home from work and released me into the wild again. There’s an inside latch now.

View attachment 3685584

I have two 6 yr old bully/lab/?? named Max and Maddie. They look nothing alike but are litter-mates. Max is a high strung dog that thinks moose are fun to chase; obviously not a good thing to do. Maddie is my shadow and likes to take leisurely walks in the woods.

Maddie (left) & Max
View attachment 3685585
View attachment 3685586

I want to add how much appreciation I have for BYC and its members. Everyone here is so helpful and supportive; I know I can always turn to members here when I have questions—Thank you so much for that ❤️
View attachment 3685589

@NorthwoodsChick

For more information about the interview feature and a complete list of member interviews:
Thank you @NorthwoodsChick for the wonderful interview! :clap

@NorthwoodsChick

View attachment 3685576

View attachment 3685578

View attachment 3685581

View attachment 3685582

View attachment 3685584

Maddie (left) & Max
View attachment 3685585
View attachment 3685586

View attachment 3685589

@NorthwoodsChick

Thanks for the interview!

Nice interview, @NorthwoodsChick! Great pictures. Thanks for sharing.

Love your Bielefelders! Of course, I'm not biased, having 4 of them myself. :gig
Thank you! I read about your Bielefelders on the Biel thread (I’m a silent stalker 😎)
Unfortunately the Biel chick in the pic above was killed by a predator Wednesday-she was sweet! So, I’m down to one Biel now.

Nice to meet you Mel. I had thought you were from Wisconsin because of your username. I wasn't aware Michigan also call the the north the northwoods. You didn't say UP, so I'm assuming your in the north of the mitten. Michigan has enough elk to hunt? I wasn't aware of that. Love your pups, and all your beautiful birds. :)
Actually, I AM in the UP-I said Northern Michigan because nobody know where the UP is—only people from the midwest know what Yooper means. 🙃

Back
Top Bottom