BYC Member Interview - Speckledhen **UPDATE 01-01-21 page 8**

Hey, Cyn,
I loved reading your interview and going down memory lane with you and your chickens. I remember them all from when I was more active with BYC. It is so hard to lose the favorites. I also have a retirement home and hospice for my older birds. Two of my original birds are 12 years old now - OEGB's Spot & Star.

Looking forward to learning more about you.....

Love your interview, thank you for sharing your story.

My favorite photo you posted is the hammock scene with your spouse and the lovely chickens.
Thank you. That's one of my favorite pictures as well.

Hey, Cyn,
I loved reading your interview and going down memory lane with you and your chickens. I remember them all from when I was more active with BYC. It is so hard to lose the favorites. I also have a retirement home and hospice for my older birds. Two of my original birds are 12 years old now - OEGB's Spot & Star.

Looking forward to learning more about you.....
Carla, old friend, so happy to see you here again. My oldest right now is about to turn 8 in January, my last hatchery hen, my Brahma, Caroline. I can't believe I've finally had a hatchery hen live this long! She's a great old gal and there are two BR hens right behind her. It's fabulous that you have 12 year olds! I'm praying that a couple of my super special ones will live that long, one being my beloved black Ameraucana, Gypsy. That hen is just the best. She's 7 now.

We acquired an unexpected new pet this month; well, he acquired us, really. On November 5th, my rooster was following something out toward the woods and I began following him to see what all the fuss was about. It was a big orange tabby. He went through the livestock fencing, but when my DH called to him, he answered and turned around and came back and stayed. Now, he is neutered with the proper shots. Finn has converted my cat-hating DH into a believer. He's never owned a cat and I haven't since I was a kid; we had dogs for many years until the last two became very old and passed away, so we were really dog people. Finn is smart and personable and, most importantly, is chicken-friendly. I crocheted him a bed but DH had already built a cat condo with false floor to put a heating pad in it for winter. He is an outside cat who somehow manages to end up inside more than I had planned (not me letting him in, blame my DH!).

Last edited:
[/SIZ

Hey, Cyn!

So glad to see u' I haven't been around in ever so long, as life has thrown a few curve balls as it tends to do sometimes.

I still have Lily's son, only fertile hatch she ever had because she absolutely refused any Roo's advances til the end. I would love to have some of his babies but not sure he can anymore. His leg never healed up either. Sometimes it gets bad and I bring him in for cuddles and foot massages, and he loves it.

My monster of a Pyrenees turned into an absolutely awesome bird guard dog finally!!!! And he doesn't even like ME riling them. Ha

I still have chicks, and pea's and 2 leftover guineas. Had to limit it as we moved back to town! ;)
Anyhow great to see u, and I don't have a retirement home per set but my birdies average age puts them at senior citizen level for sure!!!

OMGosh, JILL! What a blast from the past! So happy to hear from you! I think you were one of the first people I sent eggs to many years ago. I think that nasty carrier left them on your porch in blazing heat, or maybe that was someone else. My memory isn't as sharp as it used to be, bits and pieces, sometimes attaching themselves to the wrong owners, LOL.

I can't believe you still have something out of that silly hen. That's wonderful. And a guardian dog now, that's great. Thank you for coming to the thread!!
hugs.gif

So nice to hear from you and yes, mine was the eggs in the hot 105 degree, thus only hatching one of Lexie's baby, Lily that crazy mixed up chicken!

I am heartbroken, I have a pea that just slipped a tendon couple days ago, and you know what outcome that is. He is 4 months old and currently sitting in my lap after failed attempts at slings, wrapping,etc. He has been a good sport, he happened to be hatched in the house' but he says there is only so much indignity he will put up with!
Man I can't believe it was 2007 when I joined, makes me feel OLD!!!! :lol:

I still have some daughters and sons of my original birds. And I still have Petey, my first peacock. He is still a ham. I didn't realize that my birdies were that ancient til I started looking thru my archives!!!!!

So nice to hear from you and yes, mine was the eggs in the hot 105 degree, thus only hatching one of Lexie's baby, Lily that crazy mixed up chicken!

I am heartbroken, I have a pea that just slipped a tendon couple days ago, and you know what outcome that is. He is 4 months old and currently sitting in my lap after failed attempts at slings, wrapping,etc. He has been a good sport, he happened to be hatched in the house' but he says there is only so much indignity he will put up with!
Man I can't believe it was 2007 when I joined, makes me feel OLD!!!!
lol.png

I still have some daughters and sons of my original birds. And I still have Petey, my first peacock. He is still a ham. I didn't realize that my birdies were that ancient til I started looking thru my archives!!!!!

You know, I never got a daughter from Lexie, only sons. Other people got her daughters, but not me. I got Dutch and Zane and a few others.

Back
Top Bottom