BYC Member Interview - swampfox440

N F C

BYC Staff
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Dec 12, 2013
KY
@swampfox440

Come say hello to Mark who has been a member since December 2012 and comes to us from Ohio.

1. Tell us a bit more about yourself. And is there a story behind your member name?
I am now widowed due to the loss of my wife Susie on November 8/2022 Due to a long battle with cancer. I have always kept poultry except the years from when I started chasing girls, to the time, I found one and got married. My wife was gifted with animals, and it always seemed to me that she could tell what they were thinking. We raised many animals too many to name, having a cabin with a 1/2-mile driveway and a very large pond. for the first 5 years we didn't have electricity or plumbing. Looking back, it was the best years of my life. We have a son that serves in the USAF, he is now stationed in South Korea.
Screen Shot 2023-07-07 at 10.48.19 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-07-07 at 10.49.48 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-07-07 at 10.50.46 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-07-07 at 10.51.22 AM.png

We lived there 24 years. I took my member's name from the fact that I (at one point) raised foxes and we had swampy areas on the land. There were many fox farms nearby at that time and I could go to the local feed mill and buy fox food. It didn't last more than two years until the bottom dropped out of price given for pelts.

2. Why and when did you start keeping poultry?
I had runner and pekin ducks as a youngster along with rabbits, I was a 4-H member. After we married I found out my wife liked poultry also, so the first birds were brooded with kerosene lamps. I built special brooders and chicken math kicked in. :lol:

3. Which aspects of poultry keeping do you enjoy the most?
In the Spring when all the chicks and ducklings are borne is my favorite time of the year. I love all the mammas running around with fuzzballs and acting like they are so bad. I do not fear even the swans, if you are afraid of the they somehow sense this fear and go after you even more. Thats just my opinion.

4. Which members of your flock, past and present, stand out for you and why?
Old Mrs. Quack, the last surviving duck that belonged to my wife. She now has 8 fully grown babies that she adopted at an old age, they are fully grown now! Of course, my swans B.C. and Swanita.

5. What was the funniest poultry related thing that has happened to you in your years as an owner?
When my Susie had a jumbo white pekin female that disappeared, and we thought for sure the coyotes got her. We were told they were too big to breed and then one day she came out of hiding and had a large number of newly hatched ducklings with her. We were stunned!:frow:lau She had nested under a tarp that was covering my brothers snowmobile the only place I overlooked.

6. Beside poultry, what other pets do you keep?
Cats, Neocaridina shrimp (cherry shrimp) I have two fish tanks.
Screen Shot 2023-07-07 at 10.57.37 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-07-07 at 10.58.13 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-07-07 at 10.59.05 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-07-07 at 10.59.36 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-07-07 at 11.00.21 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-07-07 at 11.01.01 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-07-07 at 11.01.44 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-07-07 at 11.02.19 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-07-07 at 11.03.14 AM.png

I also have a pair of guineas. Buckwheat and Pearl.

@swampfox440

For more information about the interview feature and a complete list of member interviews:

introducing-vip-member-interviews

Aww Mark, I loved this. Thank you for Sharing. What a beautiful lady your sweet wife was. So sorry for your loss. I truly understand this grief. I lost my husband. They want us to be happy though, so we do our best. I wish I could still do chickens..and boy..did I learn the chicken math back in the day!! I love swans. You were so blessed to be able to live the way you two did in the beginning. I would have done that in a heartbeat. So much fun having certain fowl become a huge part of the family. Thanks again for sharing. Good to meet you!

@swampfox440

Come say hello to Mark who has been a member since December 2012 and comes to us from Ohio.

1. Tell us a bit more about yourself. And is there a story behind your member name?
I am now widowed due to the loss of my wife Susie on November 8/2022 Due to a long battle with cancer. I have always kept poultry except the years from when I started chasing girls, to the time, I found one and got married. My wife was gifted with animals, and it always seemed to me that she could tell what they were thinking. We raised many animals too many to name, having a cabin with a 1/2-mile driveway and a very large pond. for the first 5 years we didn't have electricity or plumbing. Looking back, it was the best years of my life. We have a son that serves in the USAF, he is now stationed in South Korea.
View attachment 3568896
View attachment 3568898
View attachment 3568899
View attachment 3568900
We lived there 24 years. I took my member's name from the fact that I (at one point) raised foxes and we had swampy areas on the land. There were many fox farms nearby at that time and I could go to the local feed mill and buy fox food. It didn't last more than two years until the bottom dropped out of price given for pelts.

2. Why and when did you start keeping poultry?
I had runner and pekin ducks as a youngster along with rabbits, I was a 4-H member. After we married I found out my wife liked poultry also, so the first birds were brooded with kerosene lamps. I built special brooders and chicken math kicked in. :lol:

3. Which aspects of poultry keeping do you enjoy the most?
In the Spring when all the chicks and ducklings are borne is my favorite time of the year. I love all the mammas running around with fuzzballs and acting like they are so bad. I do not fear even the swans, if you are afraid of the they somehow sense this fear and go after you even more. Thats just my opinion.

4. Which members of your flock, past and present, stand out for you and why?
Old Mrs. Quack, the last surviving duck that belonged to my wife. She now has 8 fully grown babies that she adopted at an old age, they are fully grown now! Of course, my swans B.C. and Swanita.

5. What was the funniest poultry related thing that has happened to you in your years as an owner?
When my Susie had a jumbo white pekin female that disappeared, and we thought for sure the coyotes got her. We were told they were too big to breed and then one day she came out of hiding and had a large number of newly hatched ducklings with her. We were stunned!:frow:lau She had nested under a tarp that was covering my brothers snowmobile the only place I overlooked.

6. Beside poultry, what other pets do you keep?
Cats, Neocaridina shrimp (cherry shrimp) I have two fish tanks.
View attachment 3568901
View attachment 3568902
View attachment 3568903
View attachment 3568906
View attachment 3568907
View attachment 3568908
View attachment 3568909
View attachment 3568910
View attachment 3568911

I also have a pair of guineas. Buckwheat and Pearl.

@swampfox440

For more information about the interview feature and a complete list of member interviews:
introducing-vip-member-interviews
Beautiful pictures Mark, thanks for sharing!!!

Back
Top Bottom