BYC members in Massachusetts?

So, my 5 redstars are 5 months old. Their habitat is a snap lock large plastic coop with 4 NBs , a vent that slides open and closed at each peak.It is open to a covered with netting and chicken wire dog run,  I haven't had to open and close them in because they are secure, as chickens who live outside can be,.We have had so little rain that they seem confused by it. I am thinking ahead to winter.  I do not believe in heating a coop. But what should I be thinking about as winter approaches. Close them in on windy frigid nights, close one vent, leave the other open? wrap the run on most sides? I am on Cape Cod so I think most of our winters arent too harsh, but I could be jinxing myself.. thoughts from local experiences?

My first winter too- we put a clear plastic coragated roof over our run, will be wrapping it in clear tarp attached to strapping, as instructed by the experienced neighbor. But I'm not doing that till December unless a cold snap happens, you want them to "harden off" and get used to the colder temp. Also they need a place to roost that is ventilated, but not drafty, so I'm buttoning up some cracks in their homemade hen house. I plan on leaving the door to the run always open, vent along the roof line. No heat but a heated water bowl in the run.

Does anyone know where I can get a few California Grey hens. I tried to get chicks at the Agway in Great Bearington this spring but they had a delay and then a substitution by Privett hatchery. Unfortunately that was their last shipment for the season. I resigned myself to waiting another year but really wanted them for next season.

Pouring rain again and it was last night too. It's been raining a lot lately. And you know, we had practically no rain all summer and now we almost have TOO much rain. Surely there must be a setting between drought and monsoon? :p

Anyone else being hit with all this rain? The poor girls are hiding under the coop. It seems to have lightened up a teeny bit now but still coming down pretty hard

Yeah, but the ducks absolutely love it! There's finally enough water in the stream to go bottoms up!

And for the record, I know they're in the state but didn't think we had any here. I had heard a year or so ago they were on the western side of town but didn't think they were in our neighborhood but I guess they are which is terrifying.

I'm just over the border in RI, and we have them here. My mom lives in south county ri and has encountered them on the bike path.

I think it's just a matter of how rural things are where you are.

Back
Top Bottom