Administrator
BYC Staff
17 Years
Dec 26, 2006
California - SF East Bay
My Coop
My Coop
Short version: We'll be testing out a cool new weekly newsletters on BYC! :D

Over the past 12 years BYC has been amazingly consistent with our monthly newsletters. We usually feature about 3 articles as well as 10 recent / active threads. It's a lot of work to put these together, format the HTML, and send them out.

Threadloom (the company that powers our advanced search) has a cool new system that uses algorithms to determine popular, active, awesome threads and posts, then automatically formats them into a nice weekly newsletter, and sends them out for us. This has some HUGE potential benefits:
  1. Saves us the frustration of manually guessing choosing which of the tens of thousands of new and active threads to feature by using advanced and constantly learning computer algorithms to determine which threads are most likely those that peeps would want to know about.
  2. Frees our team up from the hassle of dealing with coding, formatting, and sending hundreds of thousands of emails.
  3. Allows us to support more frequent newsletters and updates
We've been running these weekly newsletter on www.BackYardHerds.com and www.PrinterKnowledge.com, and they have saved us a bunch of time/effort, been well received, and good at bringing people back to the sites.

So, in an effort to improve both the process and the newsletter, we're going to test out these weekly newsletters here on BYC. We'll be experimenting with the format a little, but we hope to feature an individual article or important announcement at the top of each edition/issue and then under that will be about 10 awesome threads/posts.

Unsubscribing is super simple with a single-click "unsubscribe" link within each email newsletter.

Additionally, we've been displaying a popup box (shown ONLY to guests) asking if they'd like to subscribe to the newsletter or sign up for BYC. This popup notice can be dismissed and should not show again for at least 7 days. Again, this is ONLY shown to guests / peeps that are NOT logged-in:
lb.jpg
(We've heard that it can be beneficial to add some fun text to that image, so if you have a clever idea of text to add to get peeps to sign-up, let us know)

If you're not getting the newsletters, you can "force" the popup box by clicking HERE and waiting about 10 seconds for it to pop-up.

Please note: This system will be constantly evolving and improving as it learns what our subscribers are interested in. Eventually we even hope to be able to provide individually customized / curated emails to each subscriber. So, please help us with testing and improving the system for everyone!

If you have any questions, problems, or concerns with the new newsletter, please let us know here!

Last edited:
I wondered if it would be possible for members to email a copy of a news letter without the site (BYC) logging the email address and sending further correspondence?
There are a number of people I know who might be interested in some of the content, or even the site itself, who wouldn't bother joining having had a brief glance at the regular boards.
I first looked at BYC many years ago, maybe ten, and didn't get past the basic forums.
Eventually I did manage to find in the articles section some information I was interested in.
Some of the populat threads, while quite entertaining at times, wouldn't have persuaded me to join, whereas some of the article content would.
Just a thought.

@Shadrach thanks for the feedback!

I wondered if it would be possible for members to email a copy of a news letter without the site (BYC) logging the email address and sending further correspondence?
Yes, if you forward a newsletter you receive to someone else, we won't track it and won't (can't) add the recipient's email address.

There are a number of people I know who might be interested in some of the content, or even the site itself, who wouldn't bother joining having had a brief glance at the regular boards.
We're hoping to have a good mix of articles and topic-specific-threads in each newsletter to appeal to as many chicken-lovers as possible.

@Shadrach thanks for the feedback!

Yes, if you forward a newsletter you receive to someone else, we won't track it and won't (can't) add the recipient's email address.

We're hoping to have a good mix of articles and topic-specific-threads in each newsletter to appeal to as many chicken-lovers as possible.
Great, I'll get signed up and send a few out.;)

Back
Top Bottom